Discuss tray,trunking and conduit (steel) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

bright spark01

hi guys im working for a contractor who is involved in alot of tray and trunking work and i havent really touched on this area since the training centre and would be greatful if any1 could highlight any key points in how to do afew off sets and bends. I cannot believe how little information there is on this topic on the web as it is such a big area of the industrial sector.thanks.

there was a thread some time ago with a link. try searching some old threads with conduit in the title. TBH, conduit work comes with practice, and quite a few bits of scrap tube.

yea totally understand with the conduit you would pick it up after afew days of working with it its more the tray and trunking thats the probs, the 90s are simple its the other off sets i worry about and cheers for your help

I thought all your flat bends are now pre made?? other than that its just a few cuts in the lip of the trunking, v cuts will bend up, straight cuts at intervals will go down. Yea dont need a fecking book for that, YOU need to be taught! probably take about 10 mins!

to make sets in trunking needs a protractor to do it properly, or you can make two bits of card the same height as the trunking, and then use them as a template. tray is easy if its light/medium duty, as you can bend it over itself without taking the lip off, and then mark it. heavy duty tray is not as easy.

to be honest its all geometry.

you will pick it up.

on conduit the amount yougain on a bend are 20mm conduit is 50mm
25mm conduit is 67.5mm
32mm conduit is 80mm

i also posted a guide to conduit a while ago (i didnt write it), if you search the forum it will be here

TBH i think I'm pretty sure I robbed it from here anyway :rolleyes: but it was a while ago and I'm losing my memory now

hi guys im working for a contractor who is involved in alot of tray and trunking work and i havent really touched on this area since the training centre and would be greatful if any1 could highlight any key points in how to do afew off sets and bends. I cannot believe how little information there is on this topic on the web as it is such a big area of the industrial sector.thanks.

i done loads when i was an apprentice,tho was lucky that i was allowed to practice with a few bundles,every spark has there own way of doing it,just look at the marks on the sets,they mean something different to each spark,its one of those jobs were practice makes perfect,i was hanging off the arm of a bender(ive tried different ways of saying this and it all seems wrong:p) and unable to bend it when i was younger,but just practice and it will become second nature..

Trunking - pre manufactured bends sets and off sets, tray - premanufactured . basket cut and bend / pre manufactured
Conduit - buy a bundle of 20mm B/E buy / hire a Hilmor and spend three weeks in the garage / shed / Garden --- happy days!

Over bend , cut and thread . Butchers !!!
Mind you thats how i tend to do it aswell ! lol

It will come with time , takes me a good day or two to get back in to the metal work if i ever have to cover for my other director on the plant room side !
Just ask to borrow some off cuts and the benders at night / weekend and you will be showing the boss how to do before long ! :D
Good luck anyway mate.

to make sets in trunking needs a protractor to do it properly, or you can make two bits of card the same height as the trunking, and then use them as a template. tray is easy if its light/medium duty, as you can bend it over itself without taking the lip off, and then mark it. heavy duty tray is not as easy.

to be honest its all geometry.

you will pick it up.

on conduit the amount yougain on a bend are 20mm conduit is 50mm
25mm conduit is 67.5mm
32mm conduit is 80mm

i also posted a guide to conduit a while ago (i didnt write it), if you search the forum it will be here

Protractor? Card template? Never seen trunking done that way always used a tape measure and a marker. :)

I'm talking about making perfect sets. I've been on jobs where we had to use protractor, even vertical sets on tray! it is the best tray install I have everseen, and I'm pretty good at metalwork myself. The only problem I have is time, I don't like using pre made bends, especially in plant rooms ect, but to make them properly takes time.
Is it just me that uses a grinder for tray and trunking?

Reply to tray,trunking and conduit (steel) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock