Discuss tray work in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

amckay

I've started subbing on a site on Monday (the site has been active since July) and today I had to earth containment trays, putting copper bars over joints etc. Anyway its a 10 story building and it has a riser for cabling. However the trays in the riser are not continuous its just a 1.5m section thrown against the wall with around a 18 inch gap in between floors. So I'm linking them together by crimping 16mm2 and using 1 inch long bolts (they supplied them). The way i have bolted them is with the threaded shaft protruding the top of the tray where the cable lies. My supervisor rekons niceic will "fail" it as the cable sheeth could tear against it during installation.

Personally instead of swapping the bolts around, I rekon a bit of heat shrink will do the trick

Am I wrong?
Bearing in mind this is the first time I've done commercial as I've mainly done pat and domestics

Your gaffer shouldn't be pulling your work because of what the NIC might say, he should pull it if it's wrong. He seems spineless.
However, are the bolts round headed with screwdriver slots? If so, they should be reversed. If they're hexagonal then the cable could, in theory, still snag.

You would normally use gutter bolts with tray which have a slim slightly domed head. The head should be on the inside of the tray so that the cables have the smoothest possible surface to run against.

It should be common sense that you don't fit anything in such a way as it might cause damage to cables, and you can't use the domestic excuse on that, even in domestic you don't install things where they can damage cables!

Your gaffer shouldn't be pulling your work because of what the NIC might say, he should pull it if it's wrong. He seems spineless.
However, are the bolts round headed with screwdriver slots? If so, they should be reversed. If they're hexagonal then the cable could, in theory, still snag.
I agree with Trev

not your fault, mate. as a trainee, you should have been told/shown the correct way. for future reference, it's almost always the case that the bolt heads go on the cable side of the containment with the nuts outside. and has been mentioned, dome head bolts should be used.

I hate gutter bolts generally but this is one place where that head design is ideal. But only of course if it's on the right side of the tray. Why on earth would you install bolts facing into the tray?

I hate gutter bolts generally but this is one place where that head design is ideal. But only of course if it's on the right side of the tray. Why on earth would you install bolts facing into the tray?
Because he's a trainee and hasn't been told. The lad made a mistake. Easily corrected though and he'll remember it next time.

Fair point Trev I missed that, it does say trainee. I forget not everyone starts out doing metal containment as well.

Because he's a trainee and hasn't been told. The lad made a mistake. Easily corrected though and he'll remember it next time.

They were domed headed. I installed them that way as mentioned in op the bolts were 1 inch long and the gap was 1/2 - 3/4inch. So it was impossible for me to get my hands round the back to tighten up.

And surely everyone should read and op PROPERLY before commenting

Yes, it still doesn't excuse the OP for not having common sense!

You have containment to pull cables along, you don't install things in the way of those cables!

If a bolt is too long either get a shorter one or cut it down.

I've started subbing on a site on Monday (the site has been active since July) and today I had to earth containment trays, putting copper bars over joints etc. Anyway its a 10 story building and it has a riser for cabling. However the trays in the riser are not continuous its just a 1.5m section thrown against the wall with around a 18 inch gap in between floors. So I'm linking them together by crimping 16mm2 and using 1 inch long bolts (they supplied them). The way i have bolted them is with the threaded shaft protruding the top of the tray where the cable lies. My supervisor rekons niceic will "fail" it as the cable sheeth could tear against it during installation. I don't know about the NIC-EIC failing it but I would.

Personally instead of swapping the bolts around, I rekon a bit of heat shrink will do the trick It won't

Am I wrong? Yes
Bearing in mind this is the first time I've done commercial as I've mainly done pat and domestics

Just reverse the bolts, save all the hastle.

Why brass ones when bolting to steel tray? I can understand brass bolts for bolting lugs to brass banjos etc, but why not use steel bolts to fix to steel?

Reply to tray work in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net