Discuss Treadmill problems again... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Edtwozeronine

-
Arms
Reaction score
I first had issues about 6 months ago with my second hand treadmill tripping the ring part of the way into a session, since then I've sent off my controller board to treadmill doctor co uk. He repaired the board and sent it back after approximately a month.

Since then I've had the a dedicated circuit installed with a 16a RCBO so that if tripping occurs with the treadmill again, it will only effect a dedicated socket and not the ring main as well.

Unfortunately, a month into using the treadmill it's tripping the circuit after about 30 minutes of use. In college I learned of type C and type D RCDs and RCBOs that have different tripping dynamics to usual household type B breakers. Do you think one of these could prevent the tripping problem or is it likely to be something else?

Seems this is fairly wide spread problem having searched the interwebs...

Do you have any instructions?
They may well have details about the type of supply required.
My suspicion is that it has developed a fault.

Surely must be a fault. I can't believe a treadmill trips either on earth leakage or overcurrent on a 16A OCPD. As above, what do the manufacturer's instructions say. Is it supplied with a standard 13A plug?

Maybe worth you emailing the manufacturer as well.

My guess is it requires a C curve protective device. You have had an electrician come and install a new dedicated circuit for this equipment and I take it that you explained why you needed it so all factors could be taken into account.

all well and good talking about breakers, but what about the poor hamsters when the treadmill not work?

If it is for domestic use it should be designed to work on at most a B16 MCB or 13A BS1363 fuse and a 30mA RCD. If it does not, it is likely to be faulty or is of an unapproved design. But yes, is it tripping on overload or leakage?

It is supplied with a 13A plug, so I'd assume it's meant behave like any other household device - plug and play. It's a Roger Black Gold treadmill, i could only find a PDF of the Gold Plus version which is much newer and has MP3 playing abilities.

I chose to have the RCBO circuit installed and since 13 amp breakers aren't a thing, 16A seemed plenty. Also, i figured if it trips at least the house doesn't blackout.

Based on the time thing, eg the longer the treadmill is used under load - aka me:fearscream: plodding along on it. The more likely it is to trip. Although I haven't just left it running minus the load yet because that's not typically something one would do.

I'll pop off and try it though, see if that proves anything...

I vaguely remember industrial fridges tripping on RCDs? It was part of one of the year 3 modules (outfitting a hotel) and they were on a 16A MCB instead - correct me if I'm wrong but they had some sort of issue causing earth leakage i think.

Does it have a Euro lead like in diagram , is earth continuity measurable to anything. (akin to PAT testing it Class 1)
a) Swap out euro cable if it has one (suitably fused)
b) something weird like static build-up on a dry day !
Has a note about operating it on a mat !

Does it have a Euro lead like in diagram , is earth continuity measurable to anything. (akin to PAT testing it Class 1)
a) Swap out euro cable if it has one (suitably fused)
b) something weird like static build-up on a dry day !
Has a note about operating it on a mat !

No idea why you think it has anything other than a standard UK fused plug, i haven't built this thing myself you know; it's wired in standard UK colours.

Interesting that it says to run it on a mat though? What sort of mat cos it's currently on carpet tiles, but it is mounted on rubber feet.

The problem could be as simple as worn carbon brushes plus build up of carbon deposits.
Replace brushes and clean up commutator,etc.

It's a Leeson direct current permanent magnet motor, rated at 180 volts, 6.5 amps, 3800 RPM, 1.25 HP, continuous duty, encl: open, INS:F, AMB: 40°C

Roger Black Gold Medal Treadmill that was originally supplyed by Argos but the email address on it for support is defunct.

Found a sticker saying November 01 on it, so i suppose 2001 manufacturer date...

I can't see the brushes on it, seems like a closed unit that runs a belt driven mechanism.

If it's new motor time it's going to be fun getting it out.:eek:

Good info, thanks.

I wonder if the treadmill is creating supply current disturbances which trip the RCBO because the motor - roller drive belt or the roller-moving conveyor is/are occasionally slipping with respect to each other creating juddering accelerations/decelerations of the motor. You might then examine the state of these components for signs of slipping, any wear and tear and make adjustments in their tension.

Reply to Treadmill problems again... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock