Discuss Treadmill problems again... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

You should be able to see a pair of black discs, 1 on each side of the motor.. Behind the discs will be where the brushes are hiding..

Underneath a circular plastic disc removed with a flathead screwdriver I've popped out the brush from the top of the motor. Looks like a reasonable amount of meat on it to me, what do you guys think?Treadmill problems again... 1560865984870-654625664 - EletriciansForums.net

Underneath a circular plastic disc removed with a flathead screwdriver I've popped out the brush from the top of the motor. Looks like a reasonable amount of meat on it to me, what do you guys think?View attachment 50069
i'd say that was 1/2 worn down. replace with new. take sharp edges off new ones with a fine file .

No idea why you think it has anything other than a standard UK fused plug,...........
The euro plug (actually a socket) would be the appliance end.
Much like a PC desktop ,making the lead replaceable if damaged.
If present it would be a place to have a poor connection,but yours is probably an earlier model with integral cable.
(Do check for damage where it enters grommet) .. The
kind of checks done by PAT testing if done thoroughly !
(carpet tiles -totally adequate)

The euro plug (actually a socket) would be the appliance end.
Much like a PC desktop ,making the lead replaceable if damaged.
If present it would be a place to have a poor connection,but yours is probably an earlier model with integral cable.
(Do check for damage where it enters grommet) .. The
kind of checks done by PAT testing if done thoroughly !
(carpet tiles -totally adequate)

O I C, Like a kettle lead (that's what I call them) for a computers and computer peripherals. Yeah, mine is integral and there doesn't seem to be any obvious signs of damage to it.

i'd say that was 1/2 worn down. replace with new. take sharp edges off new ones with a fine file .

Is it the sort of thing you'll find on evil-bay??? A bit of dust came out with both of them and where they've been in contact with the motor they seem to to be smooth and rounded, no roughness. Had to turn the treadmill on it's side and remove the bottom cover to get at the other one.

problem with going out for a run is that when you've had enough you still got to get back home. with a treadmill, all you have to do is fall off into the nearest armchair and get 'er indoors to fetch a brew or a beer.

problem with going out for a run is that when you've had enough you still got to get back home. with a treadmill, all you have to do is fall off into the nearest armchair and get 'er indoors to fetch a brew or a beer.
Even better, get a rowing machine, you're sat down and it doesn't knacker you're knees.

When was the last time you lubricated the treadmill belt?

And here is a pictorial guide to the state of the commutator and brushes which might be useful to you in assessing the state of motor.

A couple of days ago actually, the treadmill dr guy sent a bottle of slipcoat lubricant and a syringe to apply it with, this is it's second treatment after the 1st 2 months ago. It was part of the board replacement deal.

Been considering buying an amp-meter clamp tester to see if the power spikes at any point during use, although my understanding is that you will need to put it around just 1 conductor at a time. Which means carefully removing the outer sheath unless there is another way?

So far all I have is a multimeter from lidl and checked continuity between plug pins and where the AC supply enters the controller board, that and 230v between line and neutral, which doesn't need to be tested really as it's clearly getting all the power it needs.

Last edited:
Could you describe the circumstances when it 'never' trips and when it does trip the RCBO?

eg: Slow speed plod over a short time - no trip; high speed over a long period trips. Slow speed over a long time .... Medium speed over a short time/long time...

Could you buy a 3Amp and 5Amp fuse and put it in the plug and see what happens?

I'm a slow plodder doing long stretches, well if an hour is long. I find it helps my back to loosen up, I've had a bad back forever but a treadmill session helps to stop seizing up.

I have access to 3a and 5a fuses in the electrical box, it'll be interesting to try out whatever your plan is with them, my thoughts are the treadmill won't start or will go very slowly. I'm willing to give it a try though!

How much do you weigh?

Swap the 13A fuse in the plug for a 5A and run it for an hour. Then use the machine as you would normally for an hour run on at least 5 occasions.

Then repeat the above with a 3A fuse in the plug.

Last edited:

Reply to Treadmill problems again... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock