Discuss Treadmill says not compatible with RCD outlets? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
As the title, our new treadmill just turned up and apart from the obvious problem of not being able to get it upstairs I noticed this (image attached) in the instructions.

treadmill.gif

What's that all about? I haven't actually tried plugging it in yet but obviously all the sockets in our house are on RCBOs and I don't fancy losing that just to get a treadmill working! It seems to be a European plug that's got an adaptor on it as in the diagram, could this be something to do with the reason why? Or is is just a recommendation and it should work fine? It has a 2.5HP motor in it but I can't see any reason why that should leak to earth at all?

Got 7 days to send it back if we need to but will cost £60 :(

Induction motors of this type are inefficient and suffer what they call slip loses. I suspect this will cause power imbalance which will cause an RCD to operate, especially during start up of the motor. You may have to run a new dedicated circuit that does not require RCD protection ie cable not embedded in wall (or suitably protected) and dedicated outlet.

Jesus that's rubbish! Thanks for your reply though! :) So best bet is try it really and see if it causes tripping at all, and if it does will have to drop a radial in on a breaker for it. Or as the house is under the supervision of a skilled person (being me), the only other option is to drop the RCBO for that circuit. Don't really want to do that though as it seems like a backwards step after only upgrading the board a couple of months ago!

Yes, just try it, if you need to repeatedly reset the rcd, just jog over to it, thereby not breaking the exercise regime :)

If this treadmail was a fridge for example, also known for tripping RCD's and RCBO's then would you install a dedicated radial circuit on a MCB and connect via a Fused Connection Unit? My wife has a paper shredder for her business, if she puts too many sheets of paper in at once the RCD trips. The above is one way I plan to overcome the problem, but I would appreciate any constructive comments (apart from the obvious, i.e one sheet at a time!)

The wide misconception about a labeled socket is that it is for Refrigeration units only. Reg 411.3.3 exception (b) states

"a specific labelled or otherwise suitably identified socket oulet provided for connection of a particular item of equipment"

Which can mean anything. Though you will have to ensure that the cable is run under reg 522.6.6

The treadmill will operate in your house just fine, don't worry about it. The reason it says it is not compatible is a slightly mis understanding in the labelling/printing. From your diagram the treadmill is a Class 2 device. I.e. it's double insulated, the flex has no earth in it.

They should have declared this before they sold it for home use .

Mind you you can always send it back and then run up and down the stairs

i don't think it should trip

i was wondering if this concerns a hazard caused by a shared rcd tripping ie:sudden stop

-could be off the wall though

Last edited by a moderator:
They seem keen for you to use the euro plug and adaptor in a "proper" socket outlet (presumably as opposed to an "improper" socket outlet) rather than chopping their silly plug off and using a proper one (BS1363).

If it were an issue with unqualified people trying to wire plugtops themselves it seems odd that they should stipulate that a qualified electrician be called to change the socket, when they could just change the plug.

I reckon if I were given the task of making this thing go I'd just say nuts to it and chop the plug off - what's the worst that can happen?
Maybe that's what we're supposed to do but they forgot to let us in on the secret.

Reply to Treadmill says not compatible with RCD outlets? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net