Discuss triple pole mcb rip off in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
how come the wholesalers can rip us off to buy a Triple pole mcb it is over 50 quid,but to buy a single pole one can be one pound fifty....To me it just looks like 3 single poles with a wee bar linking them,no further electronic wizardry? I could be wrong,

Numbers sold and produced are the main driver for prices.
Many many more singles will be sold compared to 3 poles.
And it's not the wholesalers it's the manufacturing costs.

The same logic applies to any goods produced, quantity leads to reduced prices.

Numbers sold and produced are the main driver for prices.
Many many more singles will be sold compared to 3 poles.
And it's not the wholesalers it's the manufacturing costs.

The same logic applies to any goods produced, quantity leads to reduced prices.

Talking about that.

Schnedier have started making rcd's that go on the side of an mcb then link across.

Had it for a 60amp pump on new disboard.

I think there a very good idea.

You talking about ''Vigi'' units?? if you are they have been around from day one of RCD protection, certainly from 1975. They are also the first RCBO, before they were called RCBO's ...lol!! Available from 2 to 4 pole configurations, the drawback, they take up an awful lot of room in a DB, but are one of the most reliable forms of RCD protection...

You talking about ''Vigi'' units?? if you are they have been around from day one of RCD protection, certainly from 1975. They are also the first RCBO, before they were called RCBO's ...lol!! Available from 2 to 4 pole configurations, the drawback, they take up an awful lot of room in a DB, but are one of the most reliable forms of RCD protection...

Thanks for that, havent seen or heard of them before.

Was about to say the same...

They have been around for years, under the Merlin Gerin brand before Schneider and as you say the downside is they take up a lot of room!...

Was about to say the same...

They have been around for years, under the Merlin Gerin brand before Schneider and as you say the downside is they take up a lot of room!...

Yep', ...a 4 pole breaker combined with a 4 pole vigi unit has to be getting on for a foot long!! lol!! Especially when the MCB's are of the high KA breaking models, (25KA and up) that are almost twice as wide as the standard MCB's!!!

Reply to triple pole mcb rip off in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net