Discuss Tripping out BOTH RCDs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

robsparx

did a cu change on friday. tt system, simple split load board, dual rcds. Theres a fault on one of the lighting circuits. when one of the light switches is turned on it trips out BOTH rcds on the CU.

going back to the house shortly to further investigate. would this be a borrowed neutral on the lighting circuit?

Its a borrowed neutral.

Or you have crossed connected them in the CU.

Good luck with finding it:)

Hi.

Check the landing light as it sounds like a borrowed neutral where the live comes from the downstairs lighting circuit and neutral from the upstairs lighting circuit.

If there is a 2 gang switch in the hallway i.e 1 for hall light and one for landing light you will probably find the commons are linked, with a T+E going upstairs to the landing light switch and a single core going from the landing switch to the landing light. The neutral is then part of the upstairs "loop in" circuit.

With the lighting split over the 2 RCD's this is seen as an imbalance by both RCD's causing them to trip when it is switched on.

Could also be crossed neutral in CU

Its a borrowed neutral.

Or you have crossed connected them in the CU.

Good luck with finding it:)

thought so. definately not cross connected in the cu. finding it on a sunday afternoon is not my idea of fun :(

@lenny. you must be psychic lol. its the landing light thats tripping it out. on a 2g switch in the downstairs hall. supposed to be showing the ELECSA assessor this job tomorrow aswell. wil have to get it fixed tonight :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Man!!

I have to say tho, in all the CU swaps ive done since 17th, i have never had a problem with borrowed neutrals in that manner before.

Plenty of bodges though.

thought so. definately not cross connected in the cu. finding it on a sunday afternoon is not my idea of fun :(

@lenny. you must be psychic lol. its the landing light thats tripping it out. on a 2g switch in the downstairs hall. supposed to be showing the ELECSA assessor this job tomorrow aswell. wil have to get it fixed tonight :(

Had the same borrowed neutral on landing light problem with one of my jobs that was being used on an NICEIC visit.
Sorted it prior to visit which was a must because the nic see borrowed neutrals has a code 1.
Probably the same with ELECSA.

still not sorted this. i disconnected the light to stop it tripping out the rcd until i came back, and when i did they said they'd had water come in through the roof and drip through the light overnight. lucky i'd already disconnected it. So i've left it how it is until the roofs sorted.

they dont seem keen on having to have rewiring done though

I know it's against the idea of a split load CU but would it be a short term fix to put both lights on the same side :confused:

Hello A bit new to this game but have expirenced this! since then before I change a cu check continuity on all neturals the only ones that have continuity should be the ring main if the lighting circuit has continuity would be easy to tell customer more money to fix the fault
also tell them if you change fuse board will show up faults on old cookers washers etc
Nic say it is ok to leave on same circuit if you make a note in the cert at customers request

Landing lights seem to have this problem when wired in days of old (as mentioned in a previous reply). Sometimes it is easier to run a neutral from the CU to the offending light from the appropriate RCD. First saw this on the CU change I was using for my NIC visit as well.

Reply to Tripping out BOTH RCDs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock