Discuss Tripping Query in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I changed a couple of sockets at a property I am working on and put my plug tester in to check and it tripped the rcd. Tried a couple of times then took sockets off to check them - all ok. Tried to do loop test with my kew 63 tester - tripped again. Tried a few other sockets in property and all tripped out. Plugged Dyson into same sockets and it worked fine. Consumer unit is 30 year old split load unit with 100mA rcd main switch and 30mA secondary rcd. Can test ok on 100mA rcd side but trips on testing secondary side. Connections ok inside. Has anyone come across this type of fault before. I seem to recall it happening before on another consumer unit which I changed. I believe it was an MK unit as is the one I am writing about now.

Puzzled as to why there's a 100mA RCD on one side of the board and a 30mA on the other - what's the supply type? Or do you actually mean a 100A main switch, not an RCD??

Puzzled as to why there's a 100mA RCD on one side of the board and a 30mA on the other - what's the supply type? Or do you actually mean a 100A main switch, not an RCD??
there is 100A rcd main switch ( TT system ) with lighting circuits on that rail and a 2nd rail with 30mA rcd on it powering sockets. I cannot do any tests on 30mA rcd side because it trips as soon as I plug in my socket tester or kew 63 meter. It is 30 years old and I am changing it. I am fairly confident that the rcd is faulty - there is no other possibility. Thanks for the input.

Reply to Tripping Query in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock