Discuss Tripping sockets for no apparent reason in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

mikemo70

DIY
Reaction score
hi guys i'm new toi the forum but hoping someone can shed some light on this issue, my daughter moved into her house last year and all was fine until one day she'd found the sockets had tripped so reset and and were working fine again only for a few weeks later they tripped again she has done the usual turn everything off and go round one by one but found nothing,then it worked completly fine for 9 months and its started tripping again she has had sparks in who say they can't find an issue anywhere, any ideas, could it be the mcb itself or would that have packed up by now.i might add that the CU is an old Hager no rcd fitted

thanks guys for any advice

Good info saying there is no rcd fitted. If an mcb is tripping and assuming the device is not faulty then either fault or overcurrent is causing it to trip. Do you happen to know the rating of the mcb 32A, 20A?

Any MCB can become weak over time, especially if it has tripped a good few times.

Did any of the electricians replace the MCB?

Any MCB can become weak over time, especially if it has tripped a good few times.

Did any of the electricians replace the MCB?
no electricians didn't replace mcb they looked inside consumer unit and from what i can gather there looked to be some sort of corrosion on neutral bar so they stripped cables back a little and the tripping stopped for 9 months then started again elctricians have been back and checked again but can't find anything.

So is it a particularly old installation?

Corrosion on the neutral bar can also suggest corrosion within the circuit breakers themselves.

Some older breakers, you just can't get replacements anymore... unless you risk buying used ones on Ebay.

Reactions: DPG
So is it a particularly old installation?

Corrosion on the neutral bar can also suggest corrosion within the circuit breakers themselves.

Some older breakers, you just can't get replacements anymore... unless you risk buying used ones on Ebay.
yes its an old Hager CU i think she is going to have a new mcb fitted and hopefully that's all it is, if the problem persists what would be the next step to take?
thanks

You can try replacing it and see what happens but mcbs are rarely faulty.

You can try replacing it and see what happens but mcbs are rarely faulty.
It can happen.

Caravan site, we had a number of identical mcbs in the hook ups, fitted at the same time.
The ones where the owners used them more often, and generally overloaded them on a regular basis, needed replaced time and time again.

Reply to Tripping sockets for no apparent reason in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net