Discuss Triton T80 Easi-Fit Shower Cutting out with sink tap on ;-( in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hiya,

Had a Triton T80 8.5Kw shower for the last two years in upstairs bathroom connected to the mains cold supply.

Its still working but cutting out and the water going cold when the upstairs bathroom sink tap is switched on.

Have just bought a new Triton T80 10.5kw shower and hoping this will fix the issue (have the thick wiring connection to fuse box).

But a part of me is wondering if the issue may be with the cold supply being affected in some way and putting a new or more powerful shower is not going to help?

In fact the new 10.5kw shower requires a 1.5bar of water pressure as opposed to 1.0bar for the 8.5kw.

Any pointers? Any way to diagnose if its water pressure or a shower problem?

I guess I could unplug the water connection to the shower box and see what kind of flow is coming out of the pipe? Not sure if there any way to measure if its 1.5br? Just not sure why the shower is working fine, but has started cutting out when the cold sink or bath tap is on and if I am going to make it worse by upgrading the shower? Its about 2.5 years old now and so out of warranty. There is a low pressure warning light on the shower which I have never seen come on.

Welcome any direction please.

Last edited:
common fault. low water pressure. soon as someone flushes the bogtshowers go cold. our whole street is the same. only answer is to feed with pump, but that's not allowed on the mainwater supply. carch 22.

common fault. low water pressure. soon as someone flushes the bogtshowers go cold. our whole street is the same. only answer is to feed with pump, but that's not allowed on the mainwater supply. carch 22.
Thanks. Water pressure out of the shower is not good, but the I assume the real test would be to take the cold water supply out of shower and test it to see how fasts its coming out. Maybe this...

How to Test Water Pressure (Expert Guide) - Anchor Pumps - https://www.anchorpumps.com/blog/test-water-pressure-home/

Would have thought the low water pressure light would come on if the shower was cutting out due to lack of pressure.

Just wondering if the water authorities ever slow down the pressure if a tenant hasn't paid a water bill on time, I don't think this happens?

What rating is the cable so that we can
establish with shower. Cause if it a new shower it would be under garrantee.
Its over 2 years so no more guarantee.

Its the really thick cable - at least 10mm and maybe 16mm. When I called Triton they said 10mm min is needed for 10.5kw shower with a 45mA fuse - may have up upgrade the current 40mA fuse.

https://www.tritonshowers.co.uk/media/custom/upload/File-1366041415.pdf

Just don't want the same issues if the probs are with the water supply - checking I am not missing a trick here.

You are correct in that the higher power shower will make things worse IF all other things are equal.
As mentioned in one of the post above, there should be a filter i the inlet to the shower which may be a partly blocked, so this is the first thing to check.
If all is well there, then this is a plumbing problem, which can almost certainly be improved on, but not necessarily eliminated.
First thing to check is that the main stopcock to the property is turned fully on. It may have been turned partly off to control excessive flow from some taps. The problem taps should then be fitted with their own 'stopcock' (they already should be) which can be turned partly off.

You are correct in that the higher power shower will make things worse IF all other things are equal.
As mentioned in one of the post above, there should be a filter i the inlet to the shower which may be a partly blocked, so this is the first thing to check.
If all is well there, then this is a plumbing problem, which can almost certainly be improved on, but not necessarily eliminated.
First thing to check is that the main stopcock to the property is turned fully on. It may have been turned partly off to control excessive flow from some taps. The problem taps should then be fitted with their own 'stopcock' (they already should be) which can be turned partly off.
Yes, good advice, this is on my radar. Pretty sure inlet its fully open, but will check, downstairs water flow from kitchen tap (near internal stopcock) looks pretty good, but not sure what 1.5 bar looks like and so may have to use the 1litre and timing trick to see (unless there is any other way to do it)?

If the water flow from copper pipe into shower looks good as well, then can only assume the shower or filter need sorting. If flow is good into shower, would prefer a 10.5kw shower as winter months are coming.

You need to invest in a cheap 4 bar pressure gauge, and a few fittings to enable you to connect it to the shower supply pipe, and see how much the pressure drops at the shower when a tap is switched on.
If it's only the bathroom basin tap causing the problem, a cheap and simple solution would be to lock the bathroom door when using the shower.

United Utilities tolsme it was the oldleadpipes cominginto the house were furred up and it was our problem. funny thing is...... our mains water comes in t]from the streetmain in copper. proper imperial copper 1/2"pipe, not the new fangled thin walled metric crap that bosts as soon as ot gets cold.

Yes, good advice, this is on my radar. Pretty sure inlet its fully open, but will check, downstairs water flow from kitchen tap (near internal stopcock) looks pretty good, but not sure what 1.5 bar looks like and so may have to use the 1litre and timing trick to see (unless there is any other way to do it)?

If the water flow from copper pipe into shower looks good as well, then can only assume the shower or filter need sorting. If flow is good into shower, would prefer a 10.5kw shower as winter months are coming.
Is your bathroom upstairs or downstairs?

Should really be 45A. Even when the 230 volt - 240 volt recalculation to about 9.6kW is done, the current still marginally exceeds 40A, although no one is going to run a shower anywhere near long enough to trip a 40A.

Reply to Triton T80 Easi-Fit Shower Cutting out with sink tap on ;-( in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock