Discuss Triton T80 Easi-Fit Shower Cutting out with sink tap on ;-( in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Posted it above. Current fuse thingy-ma-jig says - "32amp MTN 110 6000 Hager fuse" - that OK for a 10.5kw shower?
That sounds like a 32A Hager MCB which is most definitely not suitable for a 10.5kW shower, even if it really is 9.6W. It may not trip during the length of any normal shower session, but will routinely overheat, and suffer internal damage.
It's not even suitable for the existing 8.5kW shower.

You need to invest in a cheap 4 bar pressure gauge, and a few fittings to enable you to connect it to the shower supply pipe, and see how much the pressure drops at the shower when a tap is switched on.
If it's only the bathroom basin tap causing the problem, a cheap and simple solution would be to lock the bathroom door when using the shower.
I actually managed to fit the new 10.5kw shower, not too hard as a like for like replacement. More of a plumbing issue as tried to use the same olive with the water supply and it leaked everywhere. New 15mm nut and olive later and it was water tight.

I did check the water supply before fitting to the shower - it was mains pressure and came gushing out so I assume it made the min 1.5 bar Triton requirement for this shower.

But even with new 10.5kw shower fitted, the same issue happened with the bathroom tap. When the bathroom tap is fully on, the electric shower goes cold with no "low pressure" light coming on. Tried going downstairs and leaving the kitchen tap fully on and that didn't effect the upstairs shower. So I assume the shower cold is probably T-ed of the sink tap and it effects the shower more (just miffed why the low pressure warning light isn't coming on the shower when it cuts out).

The water coming from the shower should momentarily go hotter before cutting out, and I would certainly expect the low pressure light to come on.
In most houses, the kitchen sink tap is much closer to the incoming main than the bathroom, so perhaps the kitchen tap already has a partly shut off valve connected before it. Does the bathroom basin tap have an isolator valve, as it should have? If so, try turning this partly off, to restrict the basin flow a bit.
Are you using the shower head supplied with the shower? Electric showers use a far more restrictive head, in terms of flow, compared to that used with 'proper' showers, to create sufficient back pressure in the shower to operate the flow switch.

That sounds like a 32A Hager MCB which is most definitely not suitable for a 10.5kW shower, even if it really is 9.6W. It may not trip during the length of any normal shower session, but will routinely overheat, and suffer internal damage.
It's not even suitable for the existing 8.5kW shower.
Oh ok - do I need a Hager 145 45A fuse thingy then? Maybe like this, but its looks a bit odd shapped?

Else this one is 50A and assume it will do the job?

Not sure if changing the cartridge is reasonable things for non elecy to do (I don't want to die). Seems reasonably straightforward? Anything to be careful off? - aka the main tail ends from the supply will always be live?

The water coming from the shower should momentarily go hotter before cutting out, and I would certainly expect the low pressure light to come on.
In most houses, the kitchen sink tap is much closer to the incoming main than the bathroom, so perhaps the kitchen tap already has a partly shut off valve connected before it. Does the bathroom basin tap have an isolator valve, as it should have? If so, try turning this partly off, to restrict the basin flow a bit.
Are you using the shower head supplied with the shower? Electric showers use a far more restrictive head, in terms of flow, compared to that used with 'proper' showers, to create sufficient back pressure in the shower to operate the flow switch.
Ah OK. Will try the shower head and isolator valve adjustment.

Upstairs.
Then you have convenient access to your attic and the obvious and desirable option is a pumped shower. You get better and trouble free flow. Need never again worry about a toilet been flushed or a tap been turned on. And you are unaffected by mains pressure variations. A pumped shower is the ideal way to go

I did check the water supply before fitting to the shower - it was mains pressure and came gushing out so I assume it made the min 1.5 bar Triton requirement for this shower.
Do not confuse 'pressure' with 'flow'... you may have seen high flow, but low pressure. You really need to measure the pressure with a gauge.

Adjusted the Isolator value on the cold into the Bathroom sink and it did the job. Turned it just enough so even max output on the tap did not cause the shower to go cold. Thanks for that. ;-)

Surprised the Triton shower low pressure light did not come on if there was an issue with the water inlet into the shower unit.

Then you have convenient access to your attic and the obvious and desirable option is a pumped shower. You get better and trouble free flow. Need never again worry about a toilet been flushed or a tap been turned on. And you are unaffected by mains pressure variations. A pumped shower is the ideal way to go
then advise here. have a pumped shower off C/H. hot is pumped, cold not. when shower tap is on cool, it's freezig. soon as turn tap to activate pump, it's scalding. no regulation.

A mate of mine had is loft converted.. which meant getting rid of the cold water storage tanks (CWS) in the loft and installing a mains fed hot water storage tank. Then they built a massive new housing development across the road...

Now he has pressure issues (but pressure is above the legal minimum)... that would be solved by re-installing the CWS tank into his daughters bedroom !

then advise here. have a pumped shower off C/H. hot is pumped, cold not. when shower tap is on cool, it's freezig. soon as turn tap to activate pump, it's scalding. no regulation.
Hi TEL. Think you are referring to a "power shower" there. I was referring to a pumped electric shower. So a direct feed from the water tank in the attic preventing any pressure variations affecting shower supply.
With the power shower you have installed, I, m less experienced but I would wonder whether having a hot and cold water supply at different pressures (one pumped, one not) might be worth looking at?

Now he has pressure issues (but pressure is above the legal minimum)... that would be solved by re-installing the CWS tank into his daughters bedroom !
Building of houses/commercial premises is often outstripping infrastructure capacity causing water pressure issues. Plus unsatisfactory maintenance results in more clogging of the system. As a result we notice among landlords a growing trend to ditch the "Power shower" for the less attractive but also less problematic pumped electric shower

For pumped showers, both hot and cold feeds should be pumped (via the same pump), and the cold should come from the same large header tank that feeds the hot water cylinder. This way, both hot and cold will have exactly the same pressure at the shower

For pumped showers, both hot and cold feeds should be pumped (via the same pump), and the cold should come from the same large header tank that feeds the hot water cylinder. This way, both hot and cold will have exactly the same pressure at the shower
And the outlet from the tank that feeds the hot water cylinder should be marginally higher up the tank than the one the feeds cold water to the pump.

that's probably the answer. need to get the wet=pants back from Benidorm.

So that, in the event of the water supply filling the tank failing, the hot water will fail before the cold,, and the shower will go cold, rather than scalding hot, before stopping.
Ah, very clever! Good thing I don't install these things. Are you, you know, a bit of a closet plumber Brian?

Started out as a sparky, then, about 15 years later, after a particularly bad experience with a plumber on site, I decided enough was enough and expanded the business into plumbing and heating as well.
I continued to do jobs which were purely electrical, did a few which were almost pure plumbing, and did many that were electrics and plumbing, but vowed never again to take a job doing electrics, where a plumber is involved as well.
I stuck too this policy for about 10 years, when two good long term customers of mine both started a large new build project at the same time. Couldn't possibly take all that on, so told both customers they'd have to find plumbers elsewhere.
This following month or two did nothing to improve my opinion of plumbers! One had installed heating pipes along each side of a single storey loft, right out against the ventilated eaves, and had installed the boiler as a potential bomb - isolator valves on the flow and return, with no vent or PRV. Fire up the boiler with both valves off and it goes bang.
Compared to the other property, though, this one was perfection. Other place had heating pipes, hot water pipes and cold water pipes all running together in ducts under the floor, with no insulation between them. There were about a dozen hand basins around the place, all with individual hot and cold water taps, but no consistency as to which tap was on the left and which on the right. The taps chosen only had a tiny identifying mark on them, so it was pot luck as to whether your chosen tap was hot or cold. To add to this, because the heating pipes were in contact with cold pipes, and the hot water in some cases had a long way to travel to the tap, some would flow hot at first, then change to cold, and others would be cold for a while and then hot. Went into the loft while the plumber was commissioning the heating, and saw the vent pipe for the heating header tank was flowing water at full bore. He hadn't a clue why, so I ended up drawing out a diagram for him to change the pipework to on a large iece of cardboard packaging from the kitchen units.
That was the last time I ever worked with a plumber.

Adjusted the Isolator value on the cold into the Bathroom sink and it did the job. Turned it just enough so even max output on the tap did not cause the shower to go cold. Thanks for that. ;-)
Surprised the Triton shower low pressure light did not come on if there was an issue with the water inlet into the shower unit.

Thanks for previous advise. Just a quickie...

...after replacing the old 8.5kw, I wanted to store this old shower away, but there is a water rattling around in it. Just wondering if anyone knows how to get this water out as I am sure its not going to be good to leave it inside the shower for years in storage. Have left it for a while and its not dripping out easily - assume there is some complex heater/exchange within the shower.

.. anyone know a trick to remove water from an electric shower so it can be stored?

Reply to Triton T80 Easi-Fit Shower Cutting out with sink tap on ;-( in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock