Discuss trouble with 2394/2395 revision queston in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

stevo

hey guys....

ive downloaded some revision questions for my 2394/95 course i have booked for august and ive come across a question im a little unsure about......even when i have used the regs and GN3 to help. a little help would be greatly appreciated as there is no answer sheet for the questions. Heres the question:

consider the following circuit: A TNS system in a domestic property has a earth fault loop impedance measured at the origin of 0.46ohm. A 4mm2 twin and earth cable with a 1.5mm2 cpc feeds a cooker which is operated by a control unit which has an integral socket outlet. the cooker cable is 35mtrs long and is fed through a 30amp BS3036 fuse in a consumer unit at the origin.

1) state the max disconnection time for the circuit? ( i put 0.4 seconds)
2)state the maximum permissible earth loop impedance if the rule of thumb method is used?

( i used Zs < 0.8 x U/Ia , which gave 230/210 x 0.8 = 0.876ohm)

3)Using the more accurate method state the value of actual earth loop impedance?

(i Used 1/F(Zs +Ze(F-1)) , which gave me 1/1.2x(2.64+0.46(1.2-1) = 2.407ohm)

4) State the approximate disconnection time of this circuit should a fault of negligible impedance occur between phase and earth at the extremity of the circuit when the conductors are at their operating temperature?

(i put "wont trip")

5) state if the disconnection time is acceptable?

(i put "no")

6)what simple change could be made if the circuit does not comply?

(i put "decrease the size of the fuse")

If some is kind enough and has the time, could they check through this for me and if ive gone wrong let me know where.

thank you in advance

hey guys....

ive downloaded some revision questions for my 2394/95 course i have booked for august and ive come across a question im a little unsure about......even when i have used the regs and GN3 to help. a little help would be greatly appreciated as there is no answer sheet for the questions. Heres the question:

consider the following circuit: A TNS system in a domestic property has a earth fault loop impedance measured at the origin of 0.46ohm. A 4mm2 twin and earth cable with a 1.5mm2 cpc feeds a cooker which is operated by a control unit which has an integral socket outlet. the cooker cable is 35mtrs long and is fed through a 30amp BS3036 fuse in a consumer unit at the origin.

2)state the maximum permissible earth loop impedance if the rule of thumb method is used?

3)Using the more accurate method state the value of actual earth loop impedance?

4) State the approximate disconnection time of this circuit should a fault of negligible impedance occur between phase and earth at the extremity of the circuit when the conductors are at their operating temperature?

(i put "wont trip")

(i put "no")

If some is kind enough and has the time, could they check through this for me and if ive gone wrong let me know where.

thank you in advance

A final circuit less than 32A at a Uo of 230V on a TNS is indeed 0.4s

Correct

You have used the Zs for the 5 s disconnection time for a BS3036 fuse instead of the Zs for the 0.4 s disconnection time.
Your answer should be fairly close to the value in BS7671 of 1.09 Ω.
I think the question may have been asking for the actual value of the earth loop impedance i.e. what you would expect to measure.
based on Zs = Ze + (R1+R2) however the use of the phrase "using the more accurate method" may mean I am wrong.

(i put "wont trip")
If you calculate the expected Zs value from the (R1+R2) resistance of the cable at 16.71 mΩ/m and the given Ze.
and then calculate the expected fault current at that point using ohms law I = Uo / Zs and read the disconnection time off the BS3036 graph for that current this should give you the approximate disconnection time.
(the answer It will not trip would be incorrect)

(i put "no")
check the answer you got above and see if the time is less than 0.4s.

If you decrease the size of the fuse then you may be subject to unwanted tripping of the circuit as the circuit should have been designed using this fuse as the minimum rating that is greater than the design current (after diversity).
Changing the length of the circuit or the size of the conductors should help but would not be a simple change, but replacing the fuse with a BSEN60898 type B circuit breaker would give you more leeway.

Reply to trouble with 2394/2395 revision queston in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock