Discuss Troubleshooting a switch that does nothing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

bmbouter

DIY
Reaction score
I have a 2-way wall switch that is on a circuit for a room. The switch does nothing, although it is receiving power and when switched it does correct on/off the power to the second terminal (so the switch is working).

I believe this switch is supposed to control an outlet receptical in the room. Several others in the house work like this. Also the switch and the outlets in the room and the ceiling light in the room are all on the same circuit (I tested).

Here's a video showing the problem:
View: https://youtu.be/SXmp2QmqUmk

All outlets work in the room at all times regardless of the state of this switch. How can I find the "other end" of where this wire is going without ripping out drywall. How can I get this switch working as it was originally intended to do?

It’s a 2 gang switch and I think a bit of professional investigation would be advisable.

2-gang switch, got it. Terminology aside, some insight into what a professional would do was the question. My goal is to learn. This switch not working itself is not very important.

Assuming it is wired in NM or something that does not have an overall metal sheath, I would de-energise the circuit, disconnect the wires from the switch, and connect the outgoing hot wire to a tone generator. I would then scan the walls and likely termination points with a detector coil that can pick up the tone from the cable. If the cable runs alongside others, the tone can leak into those by capacitance, so it's not 100% accurate or tightly focused. But it can at least tell you where to look more closely. If it's in anything hollow, I would then find a suitable place to poke an endoscope in for a visual.

@Lucien Nunes thanks for the info. That is a great tool. I determined the switch goes along with a 3-wire connection to the fan. I left it at understanding that because further investigation would invove taking down the fan. It's ok that it doesn't work, and my curiosity is satisfied.

Thank you both for the replies!

Reply to Troubleshooting a switch that does nothing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net