Discuss Troubleshooting on extension in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

MarkODon

DIY
Reaction score
Hi, just looking for a bit of help with a problem I have. I’ve done a bit of wiring to my apartment as we built an extension. The RCD (earth fault protection) is tripping when trying to use the sockets. The work isn’t finished and I just need power in one socket so the builders can use it.

When trying to solve this I’ve disconnected most of the other circuits and left it in a state that only one socket circuit is in use as that’s all that’s needed for now. But now it’s not working at all. This is how it’s been wired. All I’m showing is the main fuse, rcd, and mcb..
(all that’s still connected is the lighting circuits if needed I’ll disconnect them fully as well just really need this sorted ASAP)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

• Troubleshooting on extension BD621F1A-48C1-4280-9F70-85DA68FDF77C - EletriciansForums.net
    BD621F1A-48C1-4280-9F70-85DA68FDF77C.jpeg
    240.9 KB · Views: 29
What test equipment do you have as I suspect you may need professional help to solve this problem
What test equipment do you have as I suspect you may need professional help to solve this problem
The installation isn’t finished, I’m just looking to get one socket powered up at the moment. There will be a professional coming in at the end to do the testing with me. Is the wiring diagram correct do you know?

Hi, just looking for a bit of help with a problem I have. I’ve done a bit of wiring to my apartment as we built an extension. The RCD (earth fault protection) is tripping when trying to use the sockets. The work isn’t finished and I just need power in one socket so the builders can use it.

When trying to solve this I’ve disconnected most of the other circuits and left it in a state that only one socket circuit is in use as that’s all that’s needed for now. But now it’s not working at all. This is how it’s been wired. All I’m showing is the main fuse, rcd, and mcb..
(all that’s still connected is the lighting circuits if needed I’ll disconnect them fully as well just really need this sorted ASAP)

Thanks in advance for any help.
Is this a dual RCD consumer unit? If so, do have the neutral for the 'socket circuit' in the correct neutral bar?

Edit: beaten to it by telectrix

The installation isn’t finished, I’m just looking to get one socket powered up at the moment. There will be a professional coming in at the end to do the testing with me. Is the wiring diagram correct do you know?

Given the fact you're in Ireland, I'm amazed your REC didn't insist on setting up the temporary supply. Isn't it an offence for anyone else to carry out this sort of work?

I could be wrong and perhaps @LastManOnline or @Risteard could clarify this point.

No Matter...... a 'professional' should be involved before use. It needs dead testing and live testing before use. It's a builders supply and should be installed as such, and tested fully.
Seems to me the rcd is doing it's job.
What if a building worker were to end up hurt?

Is this a dual RCD consumer unit? If so, do have the neutral for the 'socket circuit' in the correct neutral bar?

Edit: beaten to it by telectrix
Yes. I suspected this to be the problem at the start, but when I was disconnecting some of the other circuits I did a continuity check to make sure the neutral was on the right N bar

No Matter...... a 'professional' should be involved before use. It needs dead testing and live testing before use. It's a builders supply and should be installed as such, and tested fully.
Seems to me the rcd is doing it's job.
What if a building worker were to end up hurt?
Very true. Thanks 🙏

Reply to Troubleshooting on extension in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock