Discuss Trunking mess - where to start! in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

timhoward

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

It's not that often I stare stupidly at something for 5 minutes and can't work out where to start, but....

You don't have permission to view attachments. Attachments are hidden.

The horizontal and lower vertical trunking aren't actually connected together or bonded. The upper vertical is cable tied to some SWA and flaps in the wind.
Singles are nicely tensioned against that edge with the weight of the upper trunking on them.
The horizonal trunking points upwards, has no drain holes or lid and has 5mm of water sitting in it simply from condensation I think.
Missing stop/reset button on door control leaving a 230v live part right behind it. Etc...

My original gut reaction was to rip out trunking and start again. But I might be being a drama queen.
I guess I could cut some plate and bolt together the lower vertical and horizontal trunking, or see if the right elbow can be found. (If anyone recognises the trunking style that has distinctive lids that are held on by spring tension alone I'd be happy to learn more!)
There's actually only 3 singles and earth in the upper trunking for the roller shutter door motor, so might lose that and change that to conduit.
That would free up the identical lid from the upper trunking.

Then I guess I need to check if the door control is DOL with reverse or soft starter with reverse and replace accordingly.
My only win so far is that I was able to convince the customer to isolate it until it's repaired.
Any thoughts appreciated!

Attachments

Petej999

Arms
Reaction score
It's not that often I stare stupidly at something for 5 minutes and can't work out where to start, but....

The horizontal and lower vertical trunking aren't actually connected together or bonded. The upper vertical is cable tied to some SWA and flaps in the wind.
Singles are nicely tensioned against that edge with the weight of the upper trunking on them.
The horizonal trunking points upwards, has no drain holes or lid and has 5mm of water sitting in it simply from condensation I think.
Missing stop/reset button on door control leaving a 230v live part right behind it. Etc...

My original gut reaction was to rip out trunking and start again. But I might be being a drama queen.
I guess I could cut some plate and bolt together the lower vertical and horizontal trunking, or see if the right elbow can be found. (If anyone recognises the trunking style that has distinctive lids that are held on by spring tension alone I'd be happy to learn more!)
There's actually only 3 singles and earth in the upper trunking for the roller shutter door motor, so might lose that and change that to conduit.
That would free up the identical lid from the upper trunking.

Then I guess I need to check if the door control is DOL with reverse or soft starter with reverse and replace accordingly.
My only win so far is that I was able to convince the customer to isolate it until it's repaired.
Any thoughts appreciated!
Rip existing out, plan your routing and start again Mate.

Reply to Trunking mess - where to start! in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net