Discuss Trying to control 2 o/s lights from 2 PIRs in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I'm new here so I hope I'm posting in the right place.

Is there any way to control and sync two separate lights to come on triggered from either of two PIRs? Maybe RF?

I have an outside path & steps leading up from garage to house - going round a corner -- which needs lights at both ends. Currently I have two PIR controlled spotlights , one each end, and if they are both on the lighting is fine. Trouble is that when walking down, the garage PIR triggers near the bottom when the second light is needed from halfway. Similarly on the way up. No amount of adjusting the PIRs fixes this due to the curve.

What I'd like is triggering the top sensor to switch on both lights and triggering the bottom sensor similarly to switch on both.

I'm wondering if there are any PIR lights that sync (i.e. trigger-share) via RF or something. (I'd prefer not to run another cable and would prefer to avoid installing anything halfway up). I have power both ends.

You would need two standard outside light fittings and two independant PIR detectors at required positions to acheive this really

Sometimes pir lights have a switched feed connection to supply other light fittings from and you could use this if the lights have this facility but many do not and only have a perm live supply

PIR lights that sync (i.e. trigger-share) via RF

Noxlite Smart can do that...

Trying to control 2 o/s lights from 2 PIRs Noxlite.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

I'm new here so I hope I'm posting in the right place.

Is there any way to control and sync two separate lights to come on triggered from either of two PIRs? Maybe RF?

I have an outside path & steps leading up from garage to house - going round a corner -- which needs lights at both ends. Currently I have two PIR controlled spotlights , one each end, and if they are both on the lighting is fine. Trouble is that when walking down, the garage PIR triggers near the bottom when the second light is needed from halfway. Similarly on the way up. No amount of adjusting the PIRs fixes this due to the curve.

What I'd like is triggering the top sensor to switch on both lights and triggering the bottom sensor similarly to switch on both.

I'm wondering if there are any PIR lights that sync (i.e. trigger-share) via RF or something. (I'd prefer not to run another cable and would prefer to avoid installing anything halfway up). I have power both ends.

Haven't heard of any, besides I suspect RF actuated lights could be subject to nuisance operation from any stray RF around the place. What about putting in a second PIR on the bottom light angled to pick up halfway down the stairs?
If you're not willing to rewire then you could put in some of those wall mounted LED solar PIR lights to fill in the gaps. Got some on my driveway and no faff having to run wiring either.

Thanks for your suggestions. I can replace the lights and sensors but would rather avoid an extra cable from house to garage or along the path. The current cabling for each fitting is standard 2c+E. So hence was wondering about a wireless solution.

in future select your pir and your led lights together. they have a max. switching capacity that realy means that you should wire outbound from a service junction box with a 240v 10 amp 4 pole relay. wired to the respective lighting points in 3core swa and using say a wiska ip66 junction box locally wire that to the pir. using the sw return using the black conductor in the 3 c swa marked as a brown to give power to the coil cct A1 connection. with the correct wiring connections from the mcb feeding the cct back at the 4 pole relay when any local pir switches its local led light the sw return with feed the coil cct relay and the line sw return will be passed up to all the other pirs sw connections and will light the local led light thus connected. under this configuration each pir only ever gives switching capacity to it locally connected led light and the minimal of load to the coil cct. best not to parallel up due to led loading issues which will cause pir failure and damagecto the dc drivers.

Reply to Trying to control 2 o/s lights from 2 PIRs in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock