• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.
Aico 3000 Range
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Advertisement - Content continues below

Discuss Trying To Identify Wires in the Electrical Talk - All Other Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

Putting in a new garage sub panel, but none of the wires pulled to the garage were marked. There are three #8 wires, 2 hot and a neutral. The hots are on a 2 pole breaker. If I turn the breaker on and test for voltage, the neutral should not be hot. My question is, can I remove one of the wires from the 2 pole breaker, turn it back on, and then identify the hot wire as A or B phase?

Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier

Lucien Nunes

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Yes, in theory, although depending on the tester, the capacitive coupling to the disconnected hot might make it appear live, or partially live also.

Please note that this is a UK forum and we have different systems, materials and working practices. We only have the one hot and neutral in domestic panels, and identifying cables etc is always done with the supply isolated, using a low voltage continuity tester or multimeter. Testing anything with the AC line power on, when it is not strictly necessary, is contrary to our safety rules. I would recommend that you switch off, disconnect the wires, ground each one in turn at one end and search for the grounded wire at the other end with a continuity test or low ohms range.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes, in theory, although depending on the tester, the capacitive coupling to the disconnected hot might make it appear live, or partially live also.

Please note that this is a UK forum and we have different systems, materials and working practices. We only have the one hot and neutral in domestic panels, and identifying cables etc is always done with the supply isolated, using a low voltage continuity tester or multimeter. Testing anything with the AC line power on, when it is not strictly necessary, is contrary to our safety rules. I would recommend that you switch off, disconnect the wires, ground each one in turn at one end and search for the grounded wire at the other end with a continuity test or low ohms range.
Many thanks!

buzzlightyear

-
Arms
Esteemed
It nice to know how America family gets on with the electrics over the pound , i need to find out whichs hot and whichs cold on wiring , over hear we call it line and line and cpc.
To you its live and nuetral and earth
and if you get electrcuted you will be burided in it ,lol.

Megawatt

-
Arms
Advent Win
It nice to know how America family gets on with the electrics over the pound , i need to find out whichs hot and whichs cold on wiring , over hear we call it line and line and cpc.
To you its live and nuetral and earth
and if you get electrcuted you will be burided in it ,lol.
Buzz I call it phase to phase and phase to ground when I’m measuring voltage. I can’t speak for other electricians

buzzlightyear

-
Arms
Esteemed
Hy meggerwatts im looking for my long lost dis relatives to put me up for a year , I've tried Australianer but the aberiganes dont want me.,lol

Megawatt

-
Arms
Advent Win
Putting in a new garage sub panel, but none of the wires pulled to the garage were marked. There are three #8 wires, 2 hot and a neutral. The hots are on a 2 pole breaker. If I turn the breaker on and test for voltage, the neutral should not be hot. My question is, can I remove one of the wires from the 2 pole breaker, turn it back on, and then identify the hot wire as A or B phase?
Mike did you get your wires sorted out ?

Reply to Trying To Identify Wires in the Electrical Talk - All Other Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network
Top Bottom