Discuss Trying to understand 3 phase in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am currently training in college and its my second year, we have just started on 3 phase topics.

I just wanted to ask what is 3 phase actually?
is it just a bigger consumer unit that can power more normal single phase circuits like 6 amp lighting etc and 32 amp rings?

and what are these 3 phase motors and all that talk

sorry if this sounds stupid but a friend recommended me these forums while he was training aswell.

3-phase refers to the type of supply. There's 3 lives that are at voltages that are not in sync (120 degrees apart) which make up a 3-phase supply. There may or may not be a neutral as well.

If you have a 3-phase incoming supply and you want it to distribute it as single phase final circuits then you use any one of the lives and the neutral.

For the basics maybe start by reading the wikipedia article on 3-phase.

3-phase refers to the type of supply. There's 3 lives that are at voltages that are not in sync (120 degrees apart) which make up a 3-phase supply. There may or may not be a neutral as well.

If you have a 3-phase incoming supply and you want it to distribute it as single phase final circuits then you use any one of the lives and the neutral.

For the basics maybe start by reading the wikipedia article on 3-phase.

It's probably easiest explained by your tutor as putting it in writing could lead you to misunderstand how it works.

At the moment, you'll be used to 230V single phase AC electrical supplies. If you measure the potential difference (voltage) between the line (live) and neutral, you should get about 230V to 250V.

Electricity is produced from a generator which in simple terms consists of a magnet rotating past electrical coils. In a 3 phase generator the coils are located equally around the generator, so as Marvo says they are 120 degrees apart (3x 120 degrees = 360 degrees which is a full circle).

For 3 phase you have 3 line (live) conductors and sometimes a neutral, so 3 or 4 cables. If you measure the potential difference from any of the line conductors to neutral, the voltage will be 230V-250V - which is the same as single phase. If you then measure the potential difference between any two of the line conductors the voltage will be 400V-415V.

Three phase is used a lot and in your street 1/3 of the houses will be on each phase - ie 3 phases and neutral are run along the street but only one phase and the neutral is brought into your house.

This explanation is not very precise and the terminology is not perfect, but hopefully it gives you an idea of how it works.

impeed loop that was an excellent explanation truly..i actuallly understanded so much from that...i always seem to hear people saying it can be an unbalanced load or something like that when you split the 3 phases into seperate ones...whats that all about?

Look at this link,
Three-phase electric power - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Read it, and the many others you will find by internet searches.
Keep at it until the penny drops and you grasp the concept, ask your tutor at college for any reading he can give you, and remember the more you put in to your training the more you will get out.
Before you know it you will be telling us what 3 phase is.
Above all enjoy your learning because its a trade you will be learning for the rest of your life.

impeed loop that was an excellent explanation truly..i actuallly understanded so much from that...i always seem to hear people saying it can be an unbalanced load or something like that when you split the 3 phases into seperate ones...whats that all about?

OK, so think of the 3 phases as three single phase supplies to three houses (with neutral too).

House 1 (brown phase) is on holiday and is using 5 Amps of electricity.
House 2 (black phase) has the lights on and is watching TV and is using 20A of electricity.
House 3 (grey phase) is using the cooker, immersion heater and electric shower and is using 45A of electricity.

If everyone used exactly the same, the phases would be balanced, but they are not, so the phases would be described a inbalanced.

Blimey!
I did my GCSEs in 2003 and my physics teacher taught us AC theory from Faraday's first demonstrations up to single phase including the calculation of root-mean-square values and a basic explanation of three phase.

OK, so think of the 3 phases as three single phase supplies to three houses (with neutral too).

House 1 (brown phase) is on holiday and is using 5 Amps of electricity.
House 2 (black phase) has the lights on and is watching TV and is using 20A of electricity.
House 3 (grey phase) is using the cooker, immersion heater and electric shower and is using 45A of electricity.

If everyone used exactly the same, the phases would be balanced, but they are not, so the phases would be described a inbalanced.

so is it bad to be inbalanced? by the way guys i really love learning this trade i find it so interesting for some reason, and i continuously thanks everyone on forums like this who help us new guys out,, Thank you to everyone

Blimey!
I did my GCSEs in 2003 and my physics teacher taught us AC theory from Faraday's first demonstrations up to single phase including the calculation of root-mean-square values and a basic explanation of three phase.

I should of gone to your school... I'd have lapped that up as I was fascinated with electricity! (still am) :)

Reply to Trying to understand 3 phase in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net