Discuss tt best method cheapest method? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

thekingiam

i was just wondering where do people buy there s type td rcd's from? there seems alot of different prices on line from 30 pounds to 80 pounds.
i have split load cu with two 63 amp 30ma rcd's on a tt installation, original rcd is 80amp 30ma so trips out when a fault.
could i use 80 amp stype 100ma or 100amp s type 100ma? would a 63 amp also work?
do i need an upfront rcd at all as discrimination is already in cu via split load rcd?

If the CU is non metallic and close to the meter I don’t think you require an up front S type RCD. You’ve got the protection you need in the board already.

As long as 30ma protection is in place where required you dont need another RCD assuming the CU is insulated etc.....the advantage of having a 100ma S type as a main switch is it provides back up earth fault protection if the other RCD fails,as the EFLI is likely to be too high to operate an OCPD on a usual UK TT.....if it's a main switch I'd go for a 100a.....but if you decide to go lower you need to check it wont be overloaded

Hi mate,

The 63A rating on the RCD is just the max current capacity it can safely carry, it does not relate to tripping, as RCD only trip on imbalance (earth leakage faults etc.) and do not provide any over current protection.

All final circuits require 30mA protection, so you cannot just replace a 30mA device with an RCD @100mA T/D or not.

As to whether you need 100mA up front, this depends on whether the CU is metal and is used on a TT system where the tails require additional protection or not.

Some of the older Sparks of say they prefer 100mA T/D up front on TT systems, but see above, this is not neccessarily so.

One last point, if your 30mA devices are tripping regularly, then you either have a fault, or too many High (normal) leakage Items on one RCD, either way further investigation is required.

i am using this install to join elecsa would could inspector fail me for not providing one?

Hi mate,

The 63A rating on the RCD is just the max current capacity it can safely carry, it does not relate to tripping, as RCD only trip on imbalance (earth leakage faults etc.) and do not provide any over current protection.

All final circuits require 30mA protection, so you cannot just replace a 30mA device with an RCD @100mA T/D or not.

As to whether you need 100mA up front, this depends on whether the CU is metal and is used on a TT system where the tails require additional protection or not.

Some of the older Sparks of say they prefer 100mA T/D up front on TT systems, but see above, this is not neccessarily so.

One last point, if your 30mA devices are tripping regularly, then you either have a fault, or too many High (normal) leakage Items on one RCD, either way further investigation is required.

He's not replacing 30ma protection....he's using a twin RCD CU.....the question concerns an additional 100 ma S type main switch unless I've misunderstood.

cu pvc domestic just put earth rod in as cable undersized, supply via concrete floor outside into a black bicc box connector thingy then into wall into pantry.

- - - Updated - - -

He's not replacing 30ma protection....he's using a twin RCD CU.....the question concerns an additional 100 ma S type main switch unless I've misunderstood.

correct.

Sorry,

He seemed to imply replacing the 63A 30mA ones with a 100mA type, and then went on to ask about upfront protection ?

Maybe I misunderstood ?

Right back on track, lol

Not if your CU is Class II (plastic), then no you won't fail for not providing an additional up front T/D 100mA RCD, as this is generally not required for domestic if you are providing a split load twin RCD board containing the two 30mA RCD's, as this will take care of your requirements.

Last edited:
I'm all for an additional 100ma S type main switch purely as back-up as stated....although some may not wear the additional cost. RCD's do fail,and on a normal TT you are totally reliant on RCD's for earth fault protection,IMO the chances of two failing is miniscule. Of course if you are one of those who insist on TN Ra values this isnt a concern to you.

malcomsanford said,
TT is different because there is little chance you will get a low enough Zs to activate a normal protection device, so to get around this you would put you SWA on a 100Ma S type RCD and give you discrimination

your opinions?

malcomsanford said,
TT is different because there is little chance you will get a low enough Zs to activate a normal protection device, so to get around this you would put you SWA on a 100Ma S type RCD and give you discrimination

your opinions?

my ze readings was about 150 ohms new spike, 95 ohms combined with old one

Fairly typical Ra values......
One way or another an SWA will have to be RCD'd with those Ra values,what value of RCD would depend on the function of the SWA and how it would affect other circuits.

malcomsanford said,

your opinions?

Right leaving out for a moment about backup protection (which I partially agree with btw),

the general rule for TT systems where your Ze is too high to activate the OCPD, is 300mA for fire protection where it is required such as farms and the like,

100mA for distribution cables such a sub-mains and the like.

30mA for additional protection for final circuits.

This is greatly simplified btw.

Last edited:
thekingiam,

As this is domestic, do you have a sub-main ?, or is it just normal tails at the CU ?

Could you provide a picture of the existing CU ?, and of the service head, and DNO fuse ?

Edit: that picture you have provided looks like a joint in the DNO's supply cable, and as such has nothing to do with you/us

Right leaving out for a moment about backup protection (which I partially agree with btw),

the general rule for TT systems where your Ze is too high to activate the OCPD, is 300mA for fire protection where it is required such as farms and the like,

100mA for distribution cables such a sub-mains and the like.

30mA for additional protection for final circuits.

This is greatly simplified btw.
so are you saying not a farm, not a sub main 30ma ok?

Reply to tt best method cheapest method? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock