Discuss TT commercial unit upfront RCD in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

GBDamo

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Have been doing some small jobs on a commercial unit converted for storage, changing lights and broken sockets and the like.

Units look to be c.20 years old.

The interesting thing is the unit is Three Phase TT, the rod being directly beneath the DB and incomer all in a small cupboard.

There is a 30mA RCD on the tails to the board, no time delay.

The Zs at DB is 0.52Ohms

There are no apparent parallel paths, no gas on site, water plastic and I couldn't see any steel bonding.

It is a very curious set up that doesn't feel right.

Could the Earth Rod be attached to the steel foundations, hence the very low Zs for TT.

With such a low and consistent Ze is this RCD really necessary?

Anyone seen the likes of this, is it common?

You could turn power off, do your ze test with the earth rod disconnected.

I expect the parallel paths may be metal switches or sockets, possibly metal trunking or conduit.

Many of these may be bolted to the steelwork of the building and giving you parallel paths via the cpc’s

You could turn power off, do your ze test with the earth rod disconnected.

I expect the parallel paths may be metal switches or sockets, possibly metal trunking or conduit.

Many of these may be bolted to the steelwork of the building and giving you parallel paths via the cpc’s
I'm not too worried it was more about the TT up front RCD situation.

As above I'd look at changing it for 100mA S Type with additional protection for circuits that require it.

Unless you can prove the stability of the electrode, which would probably mean regular testing over the next few months/years to prove it.

I have seen 0.74 ohms on a single rod before but it was quite damp and very near the transformer.

The Zs at DB is 0.52Ohms
To get that with a 3m long 16mm dia rod is going to need a soil resistivity or around 5 ohm.m and according to Wikipedia on soil resistance that is exceptionally low and likely to be corrosive acidic soil (peat bog maybe?)

So as above it is pretty much assured it is not the rod you are reading but some parallel paths within the building to the foundations.

Or even another cable's earth. Has it got any cables to otyher sites? Maybe armoured network cables?

To get that with a 3m long 16mm dia rod is going to need a soil resistivity or around 5 ohm.m and according to Wikipedia on soil resistance that is exceptionally low and likely to be corrosive acidic soil (peat bog maybe?)

So as above it is pretty much assured it is not the rod you are reading but some parallel paths within the building to the foundations.

Or even another cable's earth. Has it got any cables to otyher sites? Maybe armoured network cables?
Sorry, I've slept since I started this one, remind me what I was dribbling on about?

Reply to TT commercial unit upfront RCD in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock