Discuss TT earth cable small and god knows where the rod is in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Diver233

-
Arms
Reaction score
Just started to test a TT system, so found the earth and thought that cannot be it for the size of the house. (See pic). So tested the Ze and got 94 so less than a 100 but I thought I’d check the connections to the earth rod. Cannot find it anywhere. I can see a new main electric feed has been put in at some point because the old one is still there.
So my question to the more knowledgable is, how long ago was a 2.5mm cable for a TT earth allowed and also should the installers of the new main (aprox 2005) into the building have picked that up ? At that point.
Turns out around that time the garage where the inlet is was connected to the house and I’m guessing they concreted over the earth rod.
TT earth cable small and god knows where the rod is upload_2019-3-31_21-30-14 - EletriciansForums.net

I am Olllllllllllld and we didn't use a black earth wire in 1900 and frozen to death! so it was probably a DIY install!
Mind you it could have been me when i had no green and yellow, or just green as it was in the 'good old days'!

I only go as far back as the 16th, but it has surprised me when the New main cable was installed it wasn’t changed then.

I am Olllllllllllld and we didn't use a black earth wire in 1900 and frozen to death! so it was probably a DIY install!
Mind you it could have been me when i had no green and yellow, or just green as it was in the 'good old days'!

How old are these old days? If you go back far enough you'll find that green was once a phase colour.

but it has surprised me when the New main cable was installed it wasn’t changed then.
Not suprising. As it is a TT, the earth connection is the responsibility of the customer, not the DNO.

2.5mm min if not buried and protected against corrosion and mechanical damage.

You need to locate that earth electrode

Yes. That electrode needs finding. Its a screwed termination, so should be accessible. (Its probably under the floor of that new extension!).

And a small weedy cable to the earth electrode isnt suprising. After all, its only required to carry enough current to trip the RCD.

Save yourself some digging and check with DNO to see if they can give you a PME connection.
Absolutely!!

Just read my post lol,note to self read what you write before clicking post, 29Ω was reading 99Ω when I started.
First earth rod I have replaced so was not sure what to expect, thought maybe 45-50Ω, but was really pleased with 29Ω.
Is that about right ?.

Reply to TT earth cable small and god knows where the rod is in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock