Discuss TT help needed!!! in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

E

eskimo39

Can anyone help. Me and my boss are currently doing a full wiring job on a barn conversion. Due to the location of the barn, a TT system has been used. There is an earth rod outside with a 2mm cable running to it. We ran a test yesterday and got a result of 368 ohms, been used to working on domestic installations we are under the impression that you need a result of under 0.7 ohms to pass. Is this correct?

Today we have installed 2 x 4ft rods and upgraded the earth cable to 16mm, we are yet to test it but my boss is not holding out much hope of it been much lower. I did a search on here and a few people have mentioned that the reading should be inder 2000 ohms!!!! If this is the case we are well under with our 368 but am I misunderstanding the regulations?

Does anyone have any experience of TT rural installations or know the exact requirements.

Sorry to be a pain and thanks in advance.

Forgot to mention that on the old installation there was a 60A fuse to the meter, then connected to a crabtree ELCB, however we are replacing this to a 100A fuse via the local supplier and changing the ELCB to a 100A Isolator, we are then installing 2 Proteus CU's will full RCD protection except for the boilers.

Due to high Ze readings on TT systems, are we conforming by making everything RCD protected? If so are we breaking regs by leaving the boilers (x2) unprotected?

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone selling a small car we can bury ;)

Just had a quick look in my onsite guide and it states we can use :

• private water mains (No good as it's all plastic)
  • reinforcing steel in concrete (none used)
Do you think it is possible to get down from 368 to under 200 using just rods?

Thanks for the quick reply

yes never had a problem before usualy 1 rod will give me <100 but this will depend on where you are and soil type but if a problem more than 1 rod will lower reading

My understanding is that the Ze reading should be 200ohms or under, the minimum size cable to the earth rod should be 6mm, also that the main incomer should me a 100a 100ma time delay rcd, then you protect ALL the circuits with 30ma rcds, conforming to the 17th edition requirement by splitting the circuits on dual rcd board or with rcbo on each circuit.

On a TT system all circuits are required to be rcd protected.

Hope i'm right and this helps.

Is the 200 Ohm reading for just Ze, or is it Zs? but Kfordhunter is spot on there, some good advice i think. i would personally use 10mm earth cable, and if i was dropping another 2 earth rods in i would put one on each corner of the barn (incase your hitting different soil properties) and connect them like a ring circuit, loop out to each and the two rods at the front corners run straight back to the CU.

use 100ma RCD with time delay and 100A overcurrent protection, and then use the standard 30ma protection across both sides of the 17th CU for discrimination.

thanks for clearing that up :)

it's mad to think how an R1+R2 reading of 1447 Ohms is acceptable for an installation

though i suppose for a calculation using ohms law a phase short to earth with a Zs reading like that would only result on a fault current of approx 1.3A, or 130mA. which i guess is where the 100mA main RCD would come in handy

Have a look at what sort of soil there is in the area. Dry sandy soil will conduct FA but wet stuff will be good. The more "earth" you can get into the ground the better so if you're having probs with 2mm!!! Get the resistance down as much as poss thicker earthing cables, more or longer eart rods. You may get better results with longer earth rods as the soil may be damper further down. If all else fails some form of earth mat which is a gridded sheet of copper may be required but I can't see that this would be necessary. I don't have a lot of practical experience with this sort of problem, but maybe ask the supplier where the transformer is what sort of results everyone else in the area has. If it's a barn con it must be fairly close to an existing property ask to test their Ze. Keep going , you'll get there!!

ha ha, i said that knowing i'd get a bite, i couldn't help myself :p

i've said ohms law is a good way to get a ballpark figure, but i don't really want to drag other topics and gatecrash other people's threads.

now if you want to have a decent discussion and educate me with everything you learnt from your 6 week domestic installer course please feel free to take this up on the other thread

cheers

uksel, it wasn't a dig or me thinking I know it all from my course (Which is 3 years not 6 weeks). I was just genuinly interested as to how to work it out. Ohms law is our third module starting in January and was just curious as to how I could use it.

Ohms Law

v = I x R

Voltage (V/Volts) is equal to Current (I/Amps) multiplied by Resistance (R/Ohms)

the forumla will transpose correctly to leave you the option of

I = V/R and
R = V/I

I had a similar problem with a TNS supply this week.

Ze reading was too high,so a rod was installed (no stand alone rcd as we had 30ma protection on all circuits),rod resistance was 360 ohms,the local authority Contracts administrator was insistant that we got the reading down to less than 200 ohms.
When it was pointed out to him that the 'touch test ' voltage when calculated (360 x 0.03) equated to 10.8 volts,where maximum voltage must be less than 50 volts,he renaged and accepted the 360 ohms reading.

16th edition.....

Max rod resistance----500 ohms
NIC recommended max----100 ohms
IEE recommended max----200 ohms

17th edition......

Max rod resistance-----1666 ohms
NIC recommended max----STILL,100 ohms
IEE recommended max----STILL, 200 ohms ! ! !:confused:

....................comments !

uksel, it wasn't a dig or me thinking I know it all from my course (Which is 3 years not 6 weeks). I was just genuinly interested as to how to work it out. Ohms law is our third module starting in January and was just curious as to how I could use it.
3 years with out learning ohm law this is the back bone of electric

Beaver74 I am only on the first year of a three year course.

As stated in the post "Ohms law is our third module starting in January and was just curious as to how I could use it" As I am sure some of you will be aware there are 9 modules alone in our first year before they allow us on to NVQ 2 & 3.

The comment in question to uksel was of genuine interest. I joined this forum for support and (hopefully) guidance. I am not some guy who has done a six week "Intensive" course and now think I know it all, I am a member on here to assist my development and hope in the future I will be able to post answers to help others.

I have a question about TT systems, i have just done a rewire on a bungalow, and have installed an earth rod, all readings are good, have installed a high integrity 17th edition board, single rcbo for smoke alarms then split 30ma dual rcd for rest of bungalow, i think that is all you need to do, am i right to say that due to every circuit being protected by 30ma rcd i do not need to oversee the main incomer on a 100ma time delay.

Replies appreciated.

Beaver74 I am only on the first year of a three year course.

As stated in the post "Ohms law is our third module starting in January and was just curious as to how I could use it" As I am sure some of you will be aware there are 9 modules alone in our first year before they allow us on to NVQ 2 & 3.

The comment in question to uksel was of genuine interest. I joined this forum for support and (hopefully) guidance. I am not some guy who has done a six week "Intensive" course and now think I know it all, I am a member on here to assist my development and hope in the future I will be able to post answers to help others.

dont worry Eskimo asking questions will make you a much better sparkie, and I know when you are you will be a lot more helpfull than a few posts on this thread have been;)

1) Ze needs to be less than 200 ohms or 100 ohms if your in the NIC.
2)Cable size should be half the size of the phase conductor or calculated using the adiabatic equation: S=_/I²t [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]٪ k[/FONT]
3) Generally its better to go deeper to lower your reading than adding more rods. You can get rods from the wholesalers with a threaded end that allows you to add another rod to it, a ferrule protect the thread from hammer dammage, someone posted a link to it about a month ago.

hope this helps

if your strugling to get a good earth path for a rod try putting marconite round it this will enhance the earth reading. Try google it will tell you all about it. Allso the chap who has used rcbos to protect smoke alarms, i think rcbos are not required unlless any of your wiring on the smoke circuit is burried less than 50mm below the surface.

Reply to TT help needed!!! in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock