Discuss tt or tns? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

L

lionelmcc

Hi
I was looking at a job the other day which had a recent minor works cert which had the arrangement down as TT.
On further invesigation I discovered that the 16mm earth cable did indeed leave the building but went up the wall outside and was connected into a 3 wire overhead supply.
I am presuming this is TNS or am I barking up the wrong wall?

L

I have never seen that done either, something not quite right there, the DNO don,t run earth wires to there overheads, they usually are pme at the cut out, they are around here anyway.

Ok, I'll investigate further and keep you all posted

I have never seen that done either, something not quite right there, the DNO don,t run earth wires to there overheads, they usually are pme at the cut out, they are around here anyway.
I will contact the suppliers on Monday, however I have just been back to the site and followed the poles back a few hundred yards, until it disappeared into wood.
The house is an old gate lodge for to a larger house, which I am also looking at doing some work on.
The big house would appear to be supplied by the same method and, on looking inside would at first glance, seem to have a PME arrangement although there is no PME label at the main fuse or meter.
also , when driving home I did notice lots of poles ( all over the place) with three wires

I feel Like I am on a different planet

Last edited by a moderator:
Hia mate, the only time i have seen anything of the like is when the DNO has brought there own earth off the pole to an earth rod or plate near their pole, but never back into a dwelling or such like, interesting though what u have said.

Hey.

Des seems to have the most logical opinion. But then that 3rd wire could also form part of a TN-S system, depends where and how the other end is connected

Very difficult to tell really.:confused:

i followed the poles back for about 400 yds until they crossed a stream and on into the woods
then walked on to the house which has the same arrangement with the wires coming back accross from a different part of the woods
it's difficult walking country

Ok the plot thickens

I took a reading fo Ze; 0.46. Would suggest PME?

when I phoned he DNO (Scottish Power) I was told that they did not have that information.
I was then condescendingly told by some jumped up receptionist, that, "Any electrician worth his salt would be able to tell"
At this point I am glad that I am not the only person on this forum who is confused

Comments please

L

Hi
I was looking at a job the other day which had a recent minor works cert which had the arrangement down as TT.
On further invesigation I discovered that the 16mm earth cable did indeed leave the building but went up the wall outside and was connected into a 3 wire overhead supply.

L
sounds pretty obviously a TN-S.Separate earth throughout.Your ZE reading is also too high for TN-cs.
The suppliers have moved away from using these systems nowadays due to economical reasons and safety(cost of extra cable,and possibility of gypos stealing it for scrap) But as it is a pretty old installation by the sound of it TN-S sounds favourate.

Hi jason

I disconnected the bonding and tested between the incoming earth and the henly from the L tail

What about the attitude of the DNO?

Hi jason

I disconnected the bonding and tested between the incoming earth and the henly from the L tail

What about the attitude of the DNO?

Im afraid its the luck of the draw who you get when phoning them.

You could try phoning back and asking to speak to someone more in the know. They are there.

Remember, when you call them, the people that answer the phone do not have a lot of technical knowledge.

I struggle when i phone to book a PME enquiry.

Is there any way you can get us some pics?

It looked at first glance like TNS

Big house also has 3 overheads but is connected inside like PME
(one incoming armoured with attached henly for earth)

this "girl" was talking as thou she had a 2391 ( very snooty in her attitude as well)

Hey Li.

If this is a TN-C-S, then there is an external problem somewhere as the max is 0.35ohms.

The reading you have suggests a TN-S and with the third wire is a possibility.

If you ring them again, ask for technical dept.

It looked at first glance like TNS

Big house also has 3 overheads but is connected inside like PME
(one incoming armoured with attached henly for earth)
Maybe I'm missing something here--but from your above description-your armour straight to your henly block--that again sounds like TNS....PME would have a link from neutral to MET surely?
I think it has to be remembered here that aTT supply doesn't have to be overhead and likewise a TNS supply doesn't have to be underground--it is to do with the system earth--The earth will be linked to the neutral back at the supply transformer star point with a local electrode.

Ok guys the lodge looks like TNS and the house looks like PME bu they both have three overheads outside.
Recently came across an installation in his area that that looked like PME and the houses either side were PME .It was ( to my surprise) TT.
However, I feel that my reading is too low for TT

I think I will try the DNO again

I wouldnt say it was too low for TT, however, it is very rare.

Another DNO phone call is the way to go i think, given the uncertainty of the install.

At the end of the day, if they do not want to assist, maybe TT the install anyway.

Reply to tt or tns? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock