Discuss TT Supply, Testing Questions.. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

TPES

Practicing my testing and tested my first TT supply today..

It is an old farm house in the middle of no where.

I know that there is things about the install that is not upto regs.. like a BS 842 Voltage breaker for example, and the main earth needs a new copper rod and putting in a pit.

I have a few other questions about the tests i done...

1. I have been told that one of the methods for finding the resistance of earth electrode is to do a Ze test at the board, and this will also be the approx resistance of the earth electrode.. is this correct ??

2. Im not sure what i would put in for the "short circuit capacity kA" on the cert.. any ideas ??

3.I have done continuity of the ring main, I have an end to end reading of, L = 0.38, N = 0.38, and the CPC is 1.03 ????? this isnt 1.67 times greater than the liveconductors, what could cause this reading ?

4. This is a general question on any continuity test of any install.. On my assessment when im asked to do continuity of a ring final circuit will the assessor also want to see me do the L - N continuity readings and go round all sockets on the ring taking L - N readings, even though these readings are not recorded anywhere as only L - CPC (R1+R2) Will need to be recorded and shown on the test cert?

5. While testing all sockets on the ring final circuit for R1 - R2 I had a range of between 0.27 & 0.36, No spurs on the ring. Even though these reading are out of the 0.05 allowance between readings would you still class this as acceptable and write down your R1+R2 as 0.36 ?

6. There is a second CU just for storage heaters, how do you go about testing this? is this classed as a totally different inspection and will need a seperate set of test results all together?? also cant do some of the tests on this board as theres no voltage untill a certain time of the evening.

Comment on photos as you wish.. I know theres many upgrades needed.

Attachments

• TT Supply, Testing Questions.. Stephen Peggs Farm house 001 - EletriciansForums.net
    Stephen Peggs Farm house 001.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 60
  • TT Supply, Testing Questions.. Stephen Peggs Farm house 003 - EletriciansForums.net
    Stephen Peggs Farm house 003.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 49
  • TT Supply, Testing Questions.. Stephen Peggs Farm house 004 - EletriciansForums.net
    Stephen Peggs Farm house 004.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 53
  • TT Supply, Testing Questions.. Stephen Peggs Farm house 005 - EletriciansForums.net
    Stephen Peggs Farm house 005.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 45
  • TT Supply, Testing Questions.. Stephen Peggs Farm house 008 - EletriciansForums.net
    Stephen Peggs Farm house 008.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 54
Hi Sid.

1. Correct

2. The BS number should be marked on the cut-out fuse. If it's BS 1361 type 2 then 33KA, if it's BS 88 then 16.5KA. Or do you mean the MCB's ??

3. you say it's an old farmhouse, older 2.5 T+E had a CPC of 1mm not 1.5mm this could be why.

4. No.

5. Could be a high resistance joint at one of the sockets, plug terminals loose etc.

6. Seperate Circuit details and Test Results sheets.

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with above, however, i would say that if the assessor asks to see continuity tests on the RFC, i would include the L-N test as well as the R1R2 and end to end's.

If he just wants an R1R2 he will ask for exactly that.

As for the NS CU, you can perform all your dead tests as usual and just calculate Zs, but make sure you note on the cert that that is how you arrived as these values.

Agree with above, however, i would say that if the assessor asks to see continuity tests on the RFC, i would include the L-N test as well as the R1R2 and end to end's.

If he just wants an R1R2 he will ask for exactly that.

As for the NS CU, you can perform all your dead tests as usual and just calculate Zs, but make sure you note on the cert that that is how you arrived as these values.

The second CU for the storage heaters has its own earth rod.. how will i get the PEFC & PSCC without voltage here? how would i get by this.. just cOme back late at night?

if the 2 cus are from the same incoming main then i would say they should be on the same stake in this case i would see if it was poss to drop new earth from ns cu to other stake and base your readings on this if you do this check 1st reading to stake to prove its still the same

Where would you take your Ze readings from looking at the second photo attached?

I have assumed its the main tails and main earth coming into the top and terminated on the incoming of the BS 842 Voltage breaker.. Is this wrong ?

You need to get a true Ze so on the incoming of the RCD.

As Mark said, the Ze for the NS should be the same as the main CU, if its connected to the same rod.

You need to get a true Ze so on the incoming of the RCD.

As Mark said, the Ze for the NS should be the same as the main CU, if its connected to the same rod.

I did take my ze from the main incoming of RCD and got 0.27, still maybe i got something wrong, the second CU is not on the same rod.. its on a seperate rod.

You will have to excuse me here as i dont have the tester you are using but, are you sure you have it on the correct range and that it maybe should read 270?

Also, im not really sure why there is a separate rod for the NS.

Usually one rod, main earth to MEB and split into each CU from there.

You will have to excuse me here as i dont have the tester you are using but, are you sure you have it on the correct range and that it maybe should read 270?

Probally mate, my head has been all over the place today, It frustrates me so much..

Also it states in OSG the maximum Ze on a TT is 21 Ohms, Then it says anything over 200 Ohms maybe unstable. Im totally baffled as to what the Limits are.

It is difficult to see from your pics but the lower cu has a link from its earth terminal to the one above. My guess from what you say is that the yellow/green from the lower goes to an earth rod as well as another one from the the upper cu to a different earth rod. In this case surely they are effectively the same assembly, possibly a second rod being put in to improve the first. That being the case the only concern as I see it is that one rod is a rods length away from the other.

Probally mate, my head has been all over the place today, It frustrates me so much..

Also it states in OSG the maximum Ze on a TT is 21 Ohms, Then it says anything over 200 Ohms maybe unstable. Im totally baffled as to what the Limits are.

That 21 ohms is the suppliers maximum or stated, for the star point of the supply transformer and their own earth electrode
The maximum for the operation of a 30m/amp rcd is 1667 ohms however,

Any reading of your earth (which includes the suppliers 21ohms)should be under 200ohms

Anything above this figure could be considered as unstable,because for instance it may rise in drier whether when soil conditions are different

The 100ohms mentioned is an NIC figure erring on the side of extra safety and is guidance for their members only,the IEE regulations are the figures to follow for everyone else

The IEE regs require maximum of 200ohms
The figures any individual or the nic aim for or require, are a personal choice for them only

Im sorry but,
I prefer to inform what the requirements are rather than any personal options which may convey stricter results than are needed and may confuse rather than inform the questioner

regards Des

Obviously I fully agree the lower the reading the better and standards higher than the required standards are comendable

Last edited:
Im sorry but,
I prefer to inform what the requirements are rather than any personal options which may convey stricter results than are needed and may confuse.....

Totally agree there Des.

Didnt mean to preach!:D

However, generally its not hard to get a result below 100, without even trying!

That 21 ohms is the suppliers maximum or stated, for the star point of the supply transformer and their own earth electrode
The maximum for the operation of a 30m/amp rcd is 1667 ohms however,

Any reading of your earth (which includes the suppliers 21ohms)should be under 200ohms

Anything above this figure could be considered as unstable,because for instance it may rise in drier whether when soil conditions are different

The 100ohms mentioned is an NIC figure erring on the side of extra safety and is guidance for their members only,the IEE regulations are the figures to follow for everyone else

Excellent des, Thanks for a good answer. Just what i wanted to know

It is difficult to see from your pics but the lower cu has a link from its earth terminal to the one above. My guess from what you say is that the yellow/green from the lower goes to an earth rod as well as another one from the the upper cu to a different earth rod. In this case surely they are effectively the same assembly, possibly a second rod being put in to improve the first. That being the case the only concern as I see it is that one rod is a rods length away from the other.

This is exactly what has happened here.. Just as you've said.

So as you say this second rod would have been put in to improve the Ze/electrode reading?

Do i just take the lowest reading from either rod and record this on both of the sepearte test results for each CU?

Reply to TT Supply, Testing Questions.. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock