Discuss TT system testing in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Did you take the rod reading at the DB or at the rod, assuming you did it at the rod, have you checked the reading of the connecting cable disconnected from the rod at the DB?
[automerge]1589841330[/automerge]
I installed 3 new rods to get the reading to that

Hope that's in one continuous rod or each outside the zone of influence of the other.

Sorry don't quite understand your response.

From your reply I assume three separate rods connected together, can you tell us the length of the rods, the distance between them, readings from each rod, readings from the rod to the DB and the reading of the cable to the DB disconnected at both ends?

Bed calls.

Sorry don't quite understand your response.

From your reply I assume three separate rods connected together, can you tell us the length of the rods, the distance between them, readings from each rod, readings from the rod to the DB and the reading of the cable to the DB disconnected at both ends?
Sorry Mike dont have the readings on hand. But spike 1 is below the pirelli box. Spike 2 is about 15 meters away and then spike 3 is 10 meters away from spike 2. All spikes are 1m in length

Sorry Mike dont have the readings on hand. But spike 1 is below the pirelli box. Spike 2 is about 15 meters away and then spike 3 is 10 meters away from spike 2. All spikes are 1m in length

Well they are far enough from each other to be outside the zone of influence, plus your rod reading is good enough, but I would be interested in a reading on the cable from the rods to the DB disconnected from both?

Where would you start to find the problem ?

I would start with logic, if the continuity reading is good but the Zs is not then logically it is going to be something that is unique to the Zs test that's causing the problem.
So that rules out the circuit itself, so that leaves the connections between the CU earth bar and the means of earthing, the connections of the live meter tail, the tester settings, the tester connections.
Start ruling these things out in a logical order, check all of your connections, retake the measurement after checking all test lead connections and the settings of the tester.

Check that you aren't using an 'anti trip' or low current test unnecessarily. If you do need to use an 'anti trip' test then this may account for the discrepancy, test a couple of circuits using the alternative test method and a high current test to see if this clears it up
[automerge]1589888196[/automerge]
So why do they make a rod that length if it's not good enough ?

They make them because there is a demand for the product and its easier to transport and use an earth rod in 4' sections than to try and install an 8' rod or longer in one hit.

Also earth rods aren't only manufactured for permanent install as part of an electrical installation, they have other applications in temporary and permanent installations.
The really thin non-extendable rods are good for electric fence installs, temporary generator supplies and many other applications but they are completely useless for permanent installations.

Manufacturers aren't required to produce products for your specific application, they aren't concerned with BS7671 or best practice, they just make whatever product they can sell.
It is up to you to ensure that you select the correct materials for a job and install them in accordance with best practice.

Last edited:

Reply to TT system testing in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock