Discuss Tucker Telac Toggle Switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P3dro

-
Reaction score
Dear all,
I have a very nice old Tucker Telac toggle switch (garage find) that I would like to use to replace a light switch in my house.
It's pretty old, looks 50's, so not sure it will be safe with modern wiring etc.
Provided it's not broken and is all in tact, can I use it or will be it unsafe?
Thanks
P

Attachments

• IMG_0923.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0925.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0922.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 22
Dear all,
I have a very nice old Tucker Telac toggle switch (garage find) that I would like to use to replace a light switch in my house.
It's pretty old, looks 50's, so not sure it will be safe with modern wiring etc.
Provided it's not broken and is all in tact, can I use it or will be it unsafe?
Thanks
P
Think you can get lookalike modern replacements Mate.

Although well-made, unfortunately there are a few factors that make them less safe than modern switches and non-compliant. Most importantly, the cover can be removed without the use of a tool, and they are insulated to class 0 - basic insulation only; Both of these can be overcome but you would have to take the responsibility for the finished configuration and be confident that it iis no less safe than a switch made to a current standard. If you had an ELV switch circuit to control the LV circuit, then no problem.

Thanks Pete, I've only seen the ones on sale at Olivers Lighting for around £60 each but they have a wooden backplate so not exactly the same...
Do you know of any others? I would like it to be round, not on a modern rectangle faceplate.
CHeers
P
[automerge]1594916982[/automerge]
THanks Lucien.
ELV? Sorry i've only ever heard this in reference to dimmer switches. Is that what you are referring to?
P

Last edited:
Thanks Pete, I've only seen the ones on sale at Olivers Lighting for around £60 each but they have a wooden backplate so not exactly the same...
Do you know of any others? I would like it to be round, not on a modern rectangle faceplate.
CHeers
P
[automerge]1594916982[/automerge]
THanks Lucien.
ELV? Sorry i've only ever heard this in reference to dimmer switches. Is that what you are referring to?
P
ELV is extra low voltage, i.e, < 50V. so touching a contact would not be harmful.

Yes, this type of switch would never be mounted straight onto a wall. If you wanted to avoid the wooden pattress, there was the 'semi-recessed' version that still had a ceramic base and brass or bakelite cover, but most of the base fitted into a cast-iron back box up to a rim around the edge. If the box was sunk, then only the cover and the ceramic rim would be proud of the wall. The next stage was a fully flush-mounted switch usually with a square plate.

Reply to Tucker Telac Toggle Switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net