Discuss Tumble dryer plug gets hot in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all, I am here just doing some research.
We have a tumble dryer with a moulded plug fitted. The appliance is approx 6 years old and we have never experienced a problem up to now. I removed the plug by chance one day and noticed it was cracked and burnt between the holes, so I changed it for a new replacement which was an original in our new home before we had stuff done and I kept the original sockets. They are effectively unused and approx 18 months old.
The replacement got hot and smelled burnt, so my Mrs switched it off and unplugged it until I got home. I have checked the wiring in the faceplate, and it is all fine, investigations into the old faceplate revealed no internal burning or scorching either (dismantled down to it's individual components)
I plugged the dryer into a short extension lead to test what happens and I find the dryer plug is the thing getting hot and the socket stays as normal. This is a moulded plug, any ideas lads and lasses? before I chuck it away and buy a new one....
Thanks for your time and assistance all x

Post thread

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. They should be changed at the same time.
You can get into a cycle of damaged socket heats up plug, warps the plastic and changes the physical dimensions… you change the socket, and plug in this warped plug… which then damages your new socket… on and on.

Reply to Tumble dryer plug gets hot in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi, I have a Prima Tumble Dryer which I have had for 5 years. Just recently, the plug and socket melted. I replaced both and it melted again. I...
Replies
Views
Hi, We’re having problems with our Bosch serie 6 washer/dryer. It’s about 6 years old. The model number is WVG30461GB/03. It has begun to stop...
Replies
Views
My tumble dryer broke, an electrician put a new and stronger capacitor in, couple months later I realised that the socket on the extension lead...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, happy new in advance to you all. Wondering if you guys may be able to help with my faulty dryer. My dryer was not spinning anymore...
Replies
Views
Hi all, we had our gas hob removed months ago and finally just got round to putting an induction hob in. Its a normal 4 ring induction but one of...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock