Discuss Tumble dryer suppressor wire burnt out in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Djyo

-
Reaction score
Hi we have had this tumble dryer for around 5 years.
Around a year ago the brown wire in the plug going into the wall socket burnt out so i replaced the whole power cable going to the supressor, 6 months later it packed in, I opended it up to find the supressor leaking so replaced it, today I turned the tumble dryer on to get a little puff of smoke out the top.
I disconnected it and let it discharge for an hour the opend it up to find the brown wire going to the suppressor burnt out, can someone help me find the cause for this and to fix it properly thanks

Tumble dryer suppressor wire burnt out 20190426_205728 - EletriciansForums.net

Hi - my thought is water.
The green verdigris is an indicator of long term moisture, and the cables appear wet in places. If there has been a drip drip drip onto that connection it may have caused it to degrade over time.

All that current !
(A bit Borg--No weakness is tolerated)
..The same with over used cheap kettles..
...Cheaper new appliances seem to be engineered for Multiple Failures at about 5 years!

This is one of the most common faults in washers and dryers.. I lost count of the amount of these faults I tended to many moons ago..
All that vibration using push on connectors for termination eventually leading to loose joints and a good heavy load leading to a good bang..

In other instances with all the build up of lint it can unfortunately lead to a fire..
Tumble dryers are probably one of the main causes of non human fires in homes

Drum or motor bearings stiff? Something stuck between the drum and casing? Drum rubbing against casing. Or perhaps the heating element is touching the metal casing somewhere along its length?

If any of the first three above then the motor would have to work harder. All four above would mean the dryer was drawing more current through the wires, connections and filter.

So how noisy was the dryer when running? And is the drum free to turn?

(I think the solution is a new tumble dryer because I would regard yours as a fire risk now - and they are known to catch fire.)

The green verdigris is an indicator of long term moisture,....
was fresh seal kit fitted ?..or has all that warm damp air contributed to Shortening motor /cap life,over heating most internal parts ...
(Other safety-checks have been omitted or this could be deemed a step/by/step guide..W/O appropriate training -Test equip_)

alternative:
Tumble dryer suppressor wire burnt out {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Reply to Tumble dryer suppressor wire burnt out in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock