Discuss Tv above an open fireplace? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Firstly I would explain to him that a TV generates and must thus get rid of a lot of heat especially the flat versions which most seem to have now, fitting one above a clear source of heat could dramatically reduce the lifespan of the TV, also this would come under environmental influences and you could use that as your cornerstone argument here.

We had our TV wall mounted above fireplace when my son was a toddler to keep it out of the way, but we couldn't use the fire for a few years!

I think you'll find in the installation instructions for every TV under the wall mounting section it will say "do not mount directly above a heat source".
Plenty do though.
Get them to sign a disclaimer.

Put my flatscreen over the log burner a couple of years ago and so far so good. Two things help, a big lump of oak mantle to deflect hot air around it, and the log burner is sealed so no soot or products of combustion are wafting about.

You could always hang a thermometer on the wall stacked out flush to the same level as the TV would be on its bracket and see what its like when you get the open fire going but like I mentioned before, there are no guarantee's regarding the TV lasting, it needs to vent its excess heat to ensure you get a good life out of it.

or get some flyers printed up......

Transvestite Roasting Night. Tickets £20

We are lucky enough to have a small room in our house with an open fire, the "snug" I call it, in addition to the usual lounge. I have banned having a TV in there, it's a room for supping and chatting and being all cosy. I would sooner stare into the flames than watch most of the carp on TV. Don't suppose that helps much though.... Never roasted any trannies over it.

Cheers guys I have pointed out the dust issue from soot and it will be wall mounted no issue of heat distribution only rising heat from said fire. Good idea with a thermometer and check first. Cheers all.

They're not as obvious or common sense as yours !

A lot of it is an educated guess to be honest.
Sounds about right. I did a job for a local builder mate a bit ago, new garage/extension above. Did everything to the book, made sure joists were only drilled in correct places and dimensions, everything to the book. Got pulled up a bit ago by some young BCO lass for being 15mm outside of safe zone for an outside light, fair enough. Then the plumbers turn up, just hack the woodwork to bits and basically shove plastic pipework anywhere they fancy with no regard to weakening joists and running pipes 5mm from the surface that would be boarded over. What happened to the 50mm bit? AND they used plastic push fit joints in voids that would be inaccessible afterwards, I thought you were supposed to use copper and soldered joints in such circumstances? How can gas pipes just be installed anywhere the plumber fancies?? Keeps them in megabucks I suppose.

Sounds about right. I did a job for a local builder mate a bit ago, new garage/extension above. Did everything to the book, made sure joists were only drilled in correct places and dimensions, everything to the book. Got pulled up a bit ago by some young BCO lass for being 15mm outside of safe zone for an outside light, fair enough. Then the plumbers turn up, just hack the woodwork to bits and basically shove plastic pipework anywhere they fancy with no regard to weakening joists and running pipes 5mm from the surface that would be boarded over. What happened to the 50mm bit? AND they used plastic push fit joints in voids that would be inaccessible afterwards, I thought you were supposed to use copper and soldered joints in such circumstances? How can gas pipes just be installed anywhere the plumber fancies?? Keeps them in megabucks I suppose.

There are a great many cowboys about i'm afraid. There are also too many plastic plumbers about for my liking.
I'm not one for house bashing tbh. Especially not site work ! urghh !

If plastic push fits need to be accessible then that must mean half the houses in the country are wrong. Can't be right surely??
Daz

Reply to Tv above an open fireplace? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net