Discuss TV Antenna splitter in loft in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Stringy

DIY
Reaction score
I want to replace an old aerial splitter box with a newer one. Labgear LDA2081LR Distribution Amplifier

The old one looks to be powered by a cable connected to the lighting circuit. See photo

The new labgear has a 3 pin plug on it.
See photos of new splitter statistics and the old box connection

Is it ok to either :-
take the 3 pin plug off and wire in exactly the same way as before?
or
replace the plate at the end of the lighting run with a 3 pin socket and then just plug in?

IMG_5329.jpg IMG_5330.jpg

you can do either, but if you fit a BS1363 3pin socket, it must be labelled " Amp. only. not for general use". tin hat en route.

Reactions: DPG
No problem at all, although some people are horrified at the thought of it. Could always use a round pin 5A socket, or a non standard 13A plug.

As Tel says, if you do use a standard 13A socket then label it. We did have someone a few weeks ago worry about somebody hoovering the loft.

Not to clued up on tv stuff, but can't you have digital tv, without power supply?

Not to clued up on tv stuff, but can't you have digital tv, without power supply?

Doesn't matter if analogue or digital television - a weak signal will still need amplifying. Ideally as close to the aerial as possible, so loft ideal.

I thought amplifiers, especially with a digital signal, weren't really necessary unless you have a large communal block. Typical house with a couple of tv points, don't really need an amplifier, or the cable lengths are excessive.

Can still be necessary even with digital. Although conversely attenuation can sometimes be needed.

Doesn't matter if analogue or digital television - a weak signal will still need amplifying. Ideally as close to the aerial as possible, so loft ideal.
Don't think a anything can be done with a poor signal?

Don't think a anything can be done with a poor signal?

Yes - a weak signal can be amplified. As I say, it's better to do it close to the aerial rather than down by the TV though.

Reply to TV Antenna splitter in loft in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net