Discuss TV booster... in the Freeview and Terrestrial TV Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

sythai

-
Arms
Reaction score
Morning all....

In process of installing 3 x TV points for customer....... took main ariel into 4 way booster then out to each new point.

Tried one of the points yesterday and no good, got about 26 freeview channels ! Then took out the booster and put on one of those 3 way triangle 'things' and got the full lot ?

And ideas why this would happen, would the booster need all 4 outputs to have a co-ax connected in before it will function correctly ?

Many Thanks,

Sy

Don't know much about this subject but i think if you have too strong of a signal it has a negative effect.

Sounds like your overloading the front end of the telly. These amplifiers almost always have too much gain, can you turn it down? If you can get everything without it, why not just a distribution system?

Steve.

Depends how clean the initial signal is, bear in mind with an amplifier of that nature you're boosting everything including the noise. Get a terestrial signal tester and check out the signal on the aerial first. Then check again at the point where you are connecting to the booster and see how much the signal has degraded ... if it's significant then check out the cabling and ensure that the connectors are properly connected with no stray braid shorting out the main core. If it's clean (ie not much signal loss) there then fitting a mast head amplifier may be a better option.

You could Jason, but that sort of defeats the point of an amplifier!!

Steve.

Well, yes and no.

If you have a good signal to start, you are better off (i think) with a dedicated distribution system rather than a booster/amp, as this will theoretically over boost a perfect signal.

If the OP wanted to keep the existing set up then one option would be to install in-line attenuators.

So there... :D

Thanks chaps for your replies.... going back tomorrow so will see what I can do then.

I have got the gain turned right up, so could be a good chance this is the prob :rolleyes:

If this doesnt work, then I've got myself a decent splitter with the screw in type co-ax connector plugs and we'll see if this works:)

Cheers Sy

Just wondering.... what is an 'in-line attenuator', thank u ???

I fit distribution units from screwfix about £65 a pop. Use satellite rated coax to each point from dist unit. Take incomming aerial to telly as normal, take incomming satelite to sky box as normal but take outgoing sky cable from box to dist unit instead of into telly, this way the terrestrial signal piggybacks on the sky signal (which is far stronger). You then have terrestrial or sky available at all points. Not sure if this is how it should be done but it works perfect pictures all the time and even the magic eye set up work as well. For freeview substitute freeview for sky.

Cheers..........Howard

The earth recommended in our industry is a 4mm from the MET, if the signal is overloading the amplifier you can try attenuators. You can buy them in a variable version that you adjust with a small screwdriver.

If you can only get a fixed version try a 10dB one.

Also the amplifier will pick up everything so you could also be picking Tetra radio signal, this could only be confirmed by using a spectrum analyser, if this is the case then it can be removed by a simple filter in line with the aerial feed.

If the signal is excessive you may not need the amplfier so you could also try a F type splitter, these are available in many sizes. (2,3,4,6 and 8 way)

A distribution system is still a amplifier but with a lower gain figure. Also called loft boxes.

The ideal signal strength for Digital terrestrial reception is between 45 and 65 db. As well as not having enough signal it is possible to have too much signal also which is what it sounds like when you are using an amp. Just use a 3 or 4 way f type splitter that normally have around 6 db attenuation and that should suffice

Reply to TV booster... in the Freeview and Terrestrial TV Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock