Discuss TV Building shows and Youtube in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Right here we go, I realise that the shows I'm talking about are mainly aimed at the DIY section of society, or in my case a bored nearly ex Electrician. Never the less I am compelled to vent my anger at the down right blatant dangerous information dished out by some of these so called experts.

The you-tube ones would be funny if they weren't so dangerous I wont name them for fear of retribution, but those of you with any interest will probably know the ones I mean, something to do with ultimate and doctors if you get my drift. The one that really got me seething was presented by a Scots lad who was prattling on about using 240volt tools, and you must use an RCD, all good so far, until he explains that RCD stands for Reduced Current device, the mind boggles, at least mine did.

You may find my post bewildering but the point I'm tring to make is how can the HSE and other safety organizations let this sort of stuff get air time, is it ever explained on these show and you tube as well that, Electrical work shouldn't be undertaken by Mr Saturday morning B&Q man.

When ever there is a bit of gas work to be done "make sure you get a gas safe certified man in" or words to that effect, I suppose the attitude to electrics is borne out by the degradation of our industry.

It's my opinion that the powers that be must stamp out this blatant disregard for Joe Public's safety, right your turn to mock I don't care any more I'm depressed, mock all you want, I really don't care bo ho bo ho lol.

This post is partially lighthearted but with serious undertones.

:wheelchair::rant::angelsad2:

I think we have a role in stamping these clowns out Pete, Post up a link to that reduced current device and we can all jump on it. He'll either close it to comments or he'll take it down.

I think we have a role in stamping these clowns out Pete, Post up a link to that reduced current device and we can all jump on it. He'll either close it to comments or he'll take it down.

Not sure I can find it now Trev it was a while ago, I'll do some detective work and get back to you

I just had a quick trawl too, I couldn't see it either. The ultimate diy doctor I found did actually draft an electrician in to help explain things, although he wasn't exactly Mr Personality he seemed to have a decent grasp from the 1 1/2 videos I watched.

Not sure I can find it now Trev it was a while ago, I'll do some detective work and get back to you

Cant find it Trev, all I know it was on Discovery so it's probably old anyway, Chris Young was the presenter

If you start trying to police the internet and youtube it'll be like painting the forth bridge. Not just electrical stuff, there's advice on making fireworks and doing interesting things with petrol and all sorts. You'll never stamp it out. Plus some of it is quite good fun :) Daz

If you start trying to police the internet and youtube it'll be like painting the forth bridge. Not just electrical stuff, there's advice on making fireworks and doing interesting things with petrol and all sorts. You'll never stamp it out. Plus some of it is quite good fun :) Daz
some interesting stuff on there.

i didnt realise people mix hydrogen sulphate (think that was it) with sugar and use that in fireworks

i could be utter bull but it was a random vid that popped up somewhere and i clicked on it

i didnt realise people mix hydrogen sulphate (think that was it) with sugar and use that in fireworks

i could be utter bull but it was a random vid that popped up somewhere and i clicked on it

It's not a mixture I've encountered yet, but then we do very little if any manufacture as it's so much cheaper to buy them in than make them.
Generally speaking if you want to make a bang you're better off mixing a nitrate with sugar rather than a sulphate, this is the basics of a fertiliser bomb.

Potassium nitrate, charcoal and sulphur as a mixture features in all fireworks at some point (except ground maroons which are pure aluminium flash powder)

When I was a kid, we used Sodium Chlorate from the garden centre and Sulphur from the chemist.
We had fun with that. I got suspended from school for a week for bringing a tub of it into school and it spontaneously combusting in a classroom! :smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

we used sodium chlorate weedkiller and sugar. blew the roof off farmer's barn with one of our efforts.

When I was a kid we found several cans of lighter fluid and butane gas one day in the garages in the street I grew up in so we decided to do the only right and proper thing to dispose of them safely.
That's right, we built a fire around them.
The funny thing is, they all exploded at the same time. The mushroom cloud was spectacular.

It's not a mixture I've encountered yet, but then we do very little if any manufacture as it's so much cheaper to buy them in than make them.
Generally speaking if you want to make a bang you're better off mixing a nitrate with sugar rather than a sulphate, this is the basics of a fertiliser bomb.

Potassium nitrate, charcoal and sulphur as a mixture features in all fireworks at some point (except ground maroons which are pure aluminium flash powder)
that was the one potasium nitrate, you can buy it easily oonline, no interest in making/buying any i like my fingers

Last edited:
Oooh some interesting words that the anti terror police can pick up on in ths thread :)

Right here we go, I realise that the shows I'm talking about are mainly aimed at the DIY section of society, or in my case a bored nearly ex Electrician. Never the less I am compelled to vent my anger at the down right blatant dangerous information dished out by some of these so called experts.

The you-tube ones would be funny if they weren't so dangerous I wont name them for fear of retribution, but those of you with any interest will probably know the ones I mean, something to do with ultimate and doctors if you get my drift. The one that really got me seething was presented by a Scots lad who was prattling on about using 240volt tools, and you must use an RCD, all good so far, until he explains that RCD stands for Reduced Current device, the mind boggles, at least mine did.

You may find my post bewildering but the point I'm tring to make is how can the HSE and other safety organizations let this sort of stuff get air time, is it ever explained on these show and you tube as well that, Electrical work shouldn't be undertaken by Mr Saturday morning B&Q man.

When ever there is a bit of gas work to be done "make sure you get a gas safe certified man in" or words to that effect, I suppose the attitude to electrics is borne out by the degradation of our industry.

It's my opinion that the powers that be must stamp out this blatant disregard for Joe Public's safety, right your turn to mock I don't care any more I'm depressed, mock all you want, I really don't care bo ho bo ho lol.

This post is partially lighthearted but with serious undertones.

:wheelchair::rant::angelsad2:

Pete, possibly your hearing fading. Either that or the fact the presenter was Scottish!

Reply to TV Building shows and Youtube in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net