Discuss Tv sockets and tv cable access in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello guys still waiting on confirmation of a rewire I've posted a few questions for, this is another question I’ve got in mind, fairly simple.

The front reception will have a tv going on the wall on the chimney stack.
Just wanted to know how many sockets do you guys put in for this? I was thinking a single switched socket behind the tv and maybe 2 double sockets down low.
Also for the hdmi cables/optical cable, I was thinking of chasing the wall to put in a 50mmx50mm or 100mmx50mm plastic trunking going into/from a single or double metal backbox with brush plates. Obviously I would have to cut a part of the top/bottom of the backboxes out to allow the cables to enter and I’d use some grommet strip around the cut section. Would this be fine? I’ve thought about wall plates but this a budget rewire and it’s only tv cables.

Any other ways which are low cost?
Also what are the rules for chasing out a chimney breast?
I will be buying the electricians uilding regulations if I get confirmation of the rewire to help with what I can and can’t do in terms of routes chases holes zones etc.

Thanks in advance guys.

Put a double behind the TV.
I needed to get a Firestick for my Tv and needed another power point for the firestick’s power supply.
Run a good size trunking in the wall for all the other cables. Make sure it’s big enough so you can pull another HDMI cable (including its plug!) through the trunking later on.

I suggest you install 2 HDMI (the ribbon cable type are neat) a cat5/6 and a coax...there will be plenty of room in your suggested trunking

Install asany sockets as the customer wants. Likewise install whatever AV cables the customer wants.

As per @pirate has said 2x HDMI, cat 6 and a coax are a good baseline for a TV.
A cat 5/6 from the router to that location is also a good idea these days.

100x50 or 50x50 are a bit big to be chasing in to a wall, there won't be much wall left. I would tend towards a 32mm conduit at most.

Reply to Tv sockets and tv cable access in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net