Discuss Tvs In New Builds in the Freeview and Terrestrial TV Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

dnjr

-
Reaction score
Dear all
I'm just starting some new builds and builder has asked me to do the tv cables as well. He usually gets another guy to do this and I'm not too sure what cables to put in. " Coax" you all shout. I know that bit but how many.
I would put one to each room, all back to a booster in the loft and onto aerial. Something at the back of my mind says 2 to the main tv so you can watch and record but I could be making that up... Advise from those that know much appreciated.

It's really down to the builder to make a decision - you could be installing anything from an aerial in the loft (with socket next to it for a booster) then coax to every room where there will be a TV, they may want cabling for satellite or cable, HDMI up through the wall with a socket behind the TV, 5.1 surround cabling...

Does this builder have any drawings for you to work to?

all depends if he wants just aerial TV ( e.g.freeview ) or sky. you need to find out exactly what the customer wants before deciding what to fit. some of the other lads are more in tune with TV stuff. i'm still learning how to programme a VCR to record when i'm out.

Hi - you have a good starting idea, but you may want to make preparation for sat (Sky) as well. IMHO it's best to pester Mr Builder for a written down spec as to what is required, as there are many different config possible (different quality coax, different amps, filters for local interference, outlet styles etc). Regards, David. (Sorry some overlap with other replies as I'm a carp typist :). )

It's certainly easy and convenient for the electrician to install the TV cables. When asked to I usually install all points as requested and run the cables back to the requested booster point. I then get them to get an aerial installer to erect the aerial and finish off as my insurance does not cover me above guttering height. I've made sure it doesn't.

If you come back with a spec it will be easy for us to advise. Most basic new builds have sky in the living room so just a wf100 shotgun cable from loft to that position and TV in the bedrooms so coax from each to loft/booster position. A house I'm doing atm has over 1500 meters of coax, shotgun, cat5 etc so its best really to at least get an idea what the client wants.

You really need to get a spec for it. TV point spec in recent jobs for me has ranged from the basic 1 co ax to each point to a twin co ax and 3 cat 6 cables and speaker wires to each point.

Thanks for all the replies. My builder is very good at shrugging and saying your the spark whatever you think best
As a basic would it be best to double up into the lounge. And singles to kitchen and bedrooms. If so why 2 to the lounge.
Growler said 3 to longe. Why would you need 3
Come to that why 2. Is it to all

Bugger. Fat fingers pressed post reply too early.
Is 2 to lounge to allow recording. If so what does 3rd one do.
Builder is not going to want cat 5 or any ' fancy stuff' just a good basic setup

Thanks all

im no tv guru but i think by wiring 2 to each point they have the option of sky or normal ariel ? we just connect one cable into a tv faceplate and leave the other curled in back of box. the lounge normally has a media plate with various tv options so 3 are wired to it, pretty much all the big developers do it like this.

I expect one would be for the TV, the other for FM. I don't see why you couldn't use the same cable seeing as they come from the same aerial?
satellite or cable would need a higher grade of cable and F-type connector than freeview, and would more than likely end up in a different place.

Reply to Tvs In New Builds in the Freeview and Terrestrial TV Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock