Discuss twin and earth for water bonding? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gavin John Hyde

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
Been on a quote this morning to provide a new circuit for oven and hob in a kitchen, Customer says Cu changed about 2 years ago, they have been in house just a few months.
Gas, CU and cutout all in recessed cupboards in kitchen; face value looks okay. then I see the wiring is poorly dressed and terminated in the recess. no glands on CU, lack of sleeving on cpc's in Cu. Then check bonding, gas bonded from adjacent CU, water bonding looks okay then i have a check and cheeky 'electrician' has put a small stretch of green/yellow then connected up to twin and earth and run that behind the cupboards to the water bonding clamp. just before clamp in the cupboard the twin and earth joins back on to a 10mm single!
Can only assume the guy was looking to save a bit of cash!
Idiots like this really annoy me.
The pic doesnt show it too well, but the green and yellow goes down to floor level where its in a choc box linked to a piece of twin and earth!

20180928_162310.jpg

20180928_162313.jpg

Any certs or Part P?
Yes! also looked the 'electrician' up from the certificates they got when buying house and from the niceic check notification website. Job was notified to building control according to there site. bloke is still going, surprisingly or not he does not have a good reputation locally!

Lets be honest,I am sure a lot of us have not fully checked the water or gas bonding when doing a small quick job such as changing a socket or switch. But given this new circuit is notifiable then its done by the book to the regs, its me it comes back on later.

Yes! also looked the 'electrician' up from the certificates they got when buying house and from the niceic check notification website. Job was notified to building control according to there site. bloke is still going, surprisingly or not he does not have a good reputation locally!

Lets be honest,I am sure a lot of us have not fully checked the water or gas bonding when doing a small quick job such as changing a socket or switch. But given this new circuit is notifiable then its done by the book to the regs, its me it comes back on later.
Well if the work described here is anything to go by then there is no wonder his rep isn't up to much. You say the cert is NICEIC perhaps a phone call would highlight his poor workmanship, if you listen to the rhetoric spewed out by Emma Clancy, certsure Guarantee the work by their members, isn't it about time they did what they say, yet many answers to post on here poo poo the idea of contacting them because they won't do SFA, awaiting the old and dumb answers. Problem is Ms Clancy did say, when asked, that 10% of the membership leave annually, and of that 10% only 1% are dropped for bad workmanship, so maybe my post is being a bit optimistic.

Last edited:

I think CU notifications should include a photo of the new board with the cover off ...................

send a note to the NIC about your findings .............. not using CPC sleeving is the mark of a builder or DIYer .........

I think CU notifications should include a photo of the new board with the cover off ...................

send a note to the NIC about your findings .............. not using CPC sleeving is the mark of a builder or DIYer .........
Some builders are NICEIC members, seen it on their vans.

Well….if that T+E is 4mm.....and all 3 cores are used, it adds up to just over 10mm.
Green and yellow heat shrink/sleeve.....and lumped into a crimp... where's the problem?:D

Well….if that T+E is 4mm.....and all 3 cores are used, it adds up to just over 10mm.
Green and yellow heat shrink/sleeve.....and lumped into a crimp... where's the problem?:D
Never can tell if you are being real or extracting the pess

4mm^2 T&E has 4mm^2 live conductors and a 1.5mm^2 cpc.

Reply to twin and earth for water bonding? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net