Discuss Twin and earth in pipe... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dustydazzler

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
I have popped this in the video section but thought it might make an interesting debate

Handyman Chris has fitted some nice pvc pipe for his cable but rather than use conventional singles has pulled in twin and earth. Which seems odd when you have gone to the effort of fitting conduit pipe why pull in twin and earth.
If you are going to use twin and earth might as well just surface clip it imo

Thoughts

He explains, cost, I agree with him. I do the same on a small job where I'm not buying the cable specifically for that job.
You couldn't surface clip that job Dusty with the cable runs low down, and it would be nowhere near as neat.

No but you could have clipped at higher level and just dropped down in short bits of tube to the outlets.
Could of done Dusty but he says he run it low at the clients request.
For what it's worth, I'd have run high up if allowed but still used conduit and t&e unless I already had the singles.

He's made a right meal of that. I don't mind dropping twin and earth down a straight piece of conduit where it is used solely for impact protection but sod routing it through an entire conduit system, that's just stupid. He says the reason is that a drum of singles costs him £30-35 so he's going the cheap route. I reckon he needs to have a word with his wholesaler if those are his prices.
I'm not sure of the construction of the workshop but my preferred method would have been to run the conduit behind the wooden cladding, obviously I don't know if he had this opportunity though.

I have had jobs like that where ideally would have just run my twin and earth behind the cladding.
But got there after it was up.
Seems a massive waste of pvc pipe to go all along the low level like that.
It’s a neat job but a massive waste and expense on material.
Just loop over the rafters and drop down in 3ft bits of tube

He's made a right meal of that. I don't mind dropping twin and earth down a straight piece of conduit where it is used solely for impact protection but sod routing it through an entire conduit system, that's just stupid. He says the reason is that a drum of singles costs him £30-35 so he's going the cheap route. I reckon he needs to have a word with his wholesaler if those are his prices.
I'm not sure of the construction of the workshop but my preferred method would have been to run the conduit behind the wooden cladding, obviously I don't know if he had this opportunity though.
According to his own videos he buys his stuff at Screwfix and Toolstation.

Poor design, but then I dont think he has had a proper electrical education based upon other stuff I've seen in his videos.

Poor design, but then I dont think he has had a proper electrical education based upon other stuff I've seen in his videos.

At both those places a 100m drum of 2.5mm singles is less than £20 inc vat.

I think you're right, he doesn't seem to have much experience.

I believe he is a plumber by trade

It's a bit excessive, but each to their own. My preferred method is using 50x50 trunking around the top of the workshop, with straight conduit drops to each socket/switch. I have no problem using T&E in this setting (it's quite easy, neat and no need to clip it and yes - cheaper). But sod bending it through all those elbows. Plastic/galv is likely use dependant. In my garage I used plastic drops. It's far hardier than clipped direct, and also, I know I'm not going to turn open flames on the wall/swing engines around from the hoist into the conduit etc etc. Above said, I don't believe there's any capacities stated for T&E in round conduit mind...

That is without doubt the ugliest wiring job I have ever seen. What is going to happen when you want to put a bench along one of those walls? you are going to have a 20mm gap between the bench and the wall.
Most of the outlets are up high, the logical and neatest way would be to go over the top and drop down the cavity of the wall. that way all wiring is hidden. you would only have the ones under the windows and the heater outlet that required conduit, but I would pop a sheet of plywood off the wall to run those wires. there is no reason why all those wires couldn't be hidden behind the walls.

There is a huge difference between a tradesman and a handyman.

At least he showed willing, Unlike another Youtube Nagy wannabe - N Bundy who uses Copex with saddles. Chris even mentions this at the start of the Vid.

A workshop I would of done in a Steel conduit. Depending on equipment maybe even previsions on Stop buttons and DOL starters.

Reply to Twin and earth in pipe... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net