Discuss Two 16amp oven installation in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Deleted member 149081

Hi,

I've searched these forums and have found quite a bit of good information, but not specifically to my query.

My house is about 9 years old. The kitchen has a dedicated cooker circuit, which has a 32 amp MCB.

The cooker circuit only has two single 13 amp sockets on it, and each of these has a single oven connected to it with a 13 amp plug. I'm 99% sure there is not an isolating switch on the circuit (all other appliances do have isolating switches).

I'd like to replace the two 13 amp ovens with two 16 amp ovens.

Am I correct in that in order to do this, I, or an electrician, would replace the two 13amp sockets with, for example, two 20amp DP switches (such as MK K5403WHI) with a flex outlet in the base, and then wire each 16 amp oven into each socket?

Then, because there is no fuse between each oven and the DP switch, it would best to replace the 32amp MCB with a 16 amp MCB so that the entire circuit is rated at 16 amp?

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Tim

I suspect if you read the manufacturers instructions they'll tell you to run them on their own circuit on a 16A circuit breaker.

If the 32A circuit is good, I might be inclined to install a small consumer unit in a cupboard and use that to supply two 16A circuits, one for each oven. Make it accessible so the main switch can be used as a DP isolator for emergencies.

@Petej999 , is your disagree a mis-click or a genuine disagreement? I only ask because I'm curious about what others might suggest... everyday's a school day and all that :)

Reply to Two 16amp oven installation in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net