Discuss Two 3 way switches, 1 reg, too many "extra" wires and zero working kitchen lights. (Picture Inside) in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Jeratt

DIY
Reaction score
Hey guys. Embarrassed to say but I've been living here for almost 5 years now and I've never had my kitchen lights working properly. Can someone possibly help me with some advice to wire these in properly?

The other day I switched out all my old plug in outlets and light switches for new ones and decided to get brave and venture into the kitchen and finally try to fix my issues in there that I've had since moving here 5 years ago. End result? Now I have zero lights working back there in stead of a couple. I now need to use a flash light just to make breakfast, coffee and etc. Totally sucks lol.

I'm certainly far from an electrician but unfortunately I'm in a position where I can't afford to hire a professional to come in and fix things as I'm currently unemployed and struggling just to make ends meet. It's either darkness or I fix it myself. I've taken a picture and posting here. If there is anyone out there that can help me I will be forever grateful. Thank you so much.

Dfgm69N - Upload the image directly to the thread.jpg

Btw I wired these ones myself based on how the other ones in the house were wired. Obviously it didn't work but just wanted to mention that that's the reason they are currently wired that way. Not sure how they were originally wired as they did work when I first bought the place. Unfortunately a handy man(not so handy?) I hired to do some work for me messed them up and haven't worked every since.

The problem you have is that with multiple switches and multiple possible colour codes, and the fact that it already wasn't working, there's no single answer that we can give that is guaranteed to be correct. E.g. if the cables we can see go via the light fixture, the colours of the travelers should be white and red at one switch but black and red at the other. But if they go direct from one switch to the other, they should be black and red at both ends, but the white might be either a hot or a neutral according to where the line feed from the panel goes to.

It probably sounds really unhelpful but unless you have the experience to use a multimeter safely and efficiently to trace circuits, this does look like a job for an electrician as you will have to identify the functions of the wires to be sure you are not going to make it go bang.

The problem you have is that with multiple switches and multiple possible colour codes, and the fact that it already wasn't working, there's no single answer that we can give that is guaranteed to be correct. E.g. if the cables we can see go via the light fixture, the colours of the travelers should be white and red at one switch but black and red at the other. But if they go direct from one switch to the other, they should be black and red at both ends, but the white might be either a hot or a neutral according to where the line feed from the panel goes to.

It probably sounds really unhelpful but unless you have the experience to use a multimeter safely and efficiently to trace circuits, this does look like a job for an electrician as you will have to identify the functions of the wires to be sure you are not going to make it go bang.
Would it help if I took pictures of the other switches wiring? I can even take the light fixture down if need be? I just need to get this done. I'm no electrician but I am capable of at least installing/uninstalling light fixtures, light switches and plug in outlets. Also if I bought a cheap multimeter from amazon would that work good enough to help the situation?

Thanks for the response btw. Your help is truly appreciated.

There's not enough information to make any useful suggestion here. If the travelers go via the light fixture then the existing hookup is wrong, because the white should be a traveler at one end or the other. But because one red wire has been marked with black tape, something may not be quite standard anyway. I am not happy about the way the wiring is terminated and the ground wire that reaches to the front of the box that looks like it has shorted out to one of the switch terminal screws where it is blackened.

I am not comfortable advising further, I would say it needs someone with troubleshooting experience to investigate.

Darn, ok thanks for the advice anyway.

If anyone else out there is able to help please do. I'm stuck in the dark until I fix it myself.

After watching a bunch of youtube videos think I'm going to go a head and order a multimeter. From what I understand so far is that if I can identify the hot, load and travel wires this should hopefully help me. I kind of feel like I have done that already and have them hooked to the right places but I don't understand why there is 3 extra wires(red,black,white). And of course the fact that nothing is working obviously tells me that something is still not hooked up right...duh lol.

I'm guessing that the red wire with the black tape on it is the hot(yes I will still get a multimeter to make sure) and the black wire on the other switch is the load because the 2 wires that run to the light fixture are black and white, instead of red and white. The other red wire(without the black tape) and white wire are the travelers. Sound right?

Last edited:
Ok so after borrowing a multimeter and further investigation it appears that the only wire with power is the black capped one in the first picture at the top.. None of the other ones have anything. Anyone have any advice from this point?

Reply to Two 3 way switches, 1 reg, too many "extra" wires and zero working kitchen lights. (Picture Inside) in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net