Discuss Two gang two way wiring not working properly in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

N

nickdavid

I am testing a property that has the following problem -

There are three switches, one two gang two way at the bottom of the stairs (call it hall) - controlling hall with one, landing other
One two gang two way at the top of the stairs (landing), controlling hall with one landing with the other
One One Gang Switch at the other end of the landing controlling just landing light

The switches don't work properly and only turn on the light in a certain way, meaning sometimes at the switch you turn it on and off and nothing happens, then you turn the other switch the on and can then turn it on and off!

As a newly qualified tester to 2392 (not ready for 2391 clearly) this is over my head.

Here's how it's wired -

At hall switch - (ASSUME ALL EARTH'S TOGETHER IN CONNECTOR BLOCK FOR CLARITY)

Hall Side - One twin and earth from CCU - Live in common, Neutral in connector block at back of box
One triple in the hall side of the two gang - Black in common, Brown in L1 and White in L2
One twin and earth going to Pendant, connected at hall switch like so - Brown in L2 and Blue in neutral connector block at back of box

Landing side at hall switch -

Link from Common Hall switch to Common Landing
One triple in landing side - Black in common, Brown in L1 and White in L2

At landing Switch (two gang)

One twin and earth from Hall switch - Brown not terminated, Blue in connector block at back of switch.
Hall Side - Black in common, Brown in L1 and White in L2

Landing side - One triple in the landing side of the two gang - Black in common, Brown in L1 and White in L2
One twin and earth going to landing Pendant, connected at landing switch like so - Brown in L2 and Blue in neutral connector block at back of box
One last triple going from the landing side of the two gang, to the last landing 1G switch. So Black in common, Brown in L1 and White in L2 (Two in each terminal at landing gang of switch).

Landing one gang switch

Black in common, Brown in L1 and White in L2

Any ideas? This is way out of my league unfortunately. Would be interested to learn it for the future though.

Thank you.

OK attaching a drawing. Only thing not in the drawing is the feed in from the board, where the brown goes to common of the hall switch and blue in neutral connector block (then brown linked to common of landing side, hall switch) and also the cable between switches, in which only the neutral has been used. Two gang two way wiring not working properly photo(1) - EletriciansForums.net

Is the problem that the brown from the CCU should be in L1, not the common? At the hall switch? Then linked between both sides of the hall switch between L1 to L1? Instead of common to common?

You've got 3 sw's controlling 1 light on landing, no intermediate. As above feed should be in L1.

So technically, all wiring is correct? I just need to go and buy one intermediate switch? If I get a two gang intermediate switch will that ruin the other side of it controlling the hall??

Your wiring is still incorrect on the live feed to common instead of L1, if you get a 2 gang intermediate switch (crabtree make them) then wire the switch for the hall control as you have it at the moment just leave one terminal unused.
Wire the landing control switch so that black passes straight through and brown and grey (not white) are split across the switch.

Drawing doesnt match description, where are wires to third sw conected, also the cable between hall and landing what is the brown doing ?

Your wiring is still incorrect on the live feed to common instead of L1, if you get a 2 gang intermediate switch (crabtree make them) then wire the switch for the hall control as you have it at the moment just leave one terminal unused.
Wire the landing control switch so that black passes straight through and brown and grey (not white) are split across the switch.

Thank you for your help. I will do this.

L1 brown 2 c&e and brown from 3 c&e
L2 sleeved blue 2 c&e and sleeved black 3 c&e
com sleeved grey 3 c&e

Other 2 way side keep the samenconfiguration

Reply to Two gang two way wiring not working properly in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock