Discuss Two houses fed of one houses mains - what are my rights. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Keeping it brief. We recently had a utility room put in the back of our garage including new wiring and a new mini fusebox in the garage by certified electrician. Few weeks later smell burning from inside fusboard, the copper negative (i think that's right, it was copper with black plastic around it) had overheated and melted. Called the electrician and he said likley as you have exceeded voltage capacity due to dishwasher, washing machine and dryer being on at same time for example. He came round and took the inside fusebox lid off and tightened the wires and said should be ok now but dont use everything at once to be safe. So we didn't. Few weeks later smell burning again from fusebox, its really hot. Except nothing is on. So I decide fusebox is too old as its one the plastic case ones from seemingly when house was built in 1960s.

Electrcian is here today with new RCD board, all going well until he takes the main power feed wire to the fuseboard to change them over. 30 mins later western power guy is at the door asking if we're having work done as next doors power has gone.

Turns out both houses were linked up to the same 60v fusebox in our house, and he said they used to do it like that way back when to save time and money!

So here i am £450 down with the current electrician and western power are saying the fusboards need to be separated by western power at no cost to us.

But for me I'm already 450 down for something that turns out wasn't our fault.

The electrical supply being connected to the next door house has not caused your problem.
It wasn't linked to YOUR fusebox, it was linked to Western Powers main incomer fuse.

If it was linked to your fusebox then you would have been paying for your neighbours electricity use and they've been paying nothing.

Last edited:
Please post pictures of your setup. What the electrician is saying doesn't make sense.

• Melting connections are always due to either damaged or incorrect equipment, or bad workmanship. It should not be possible to melt or overheat anything by using too many appliances. The electrician is not permitted to connect anything new to inadequate or defective existing equipment.
  • Likewise, there is no reason for an electrician to say 'don't use everything at once to be safe.' The worst that should happen with excessive load is to cause a breaker to trip or fuse to blow, and in a domestic installation that shouldn't normally happen either.
  • Any part of the wiring that is shared between the houses on a shared service, the electrician is not allowed to touch because it is before the meter. Therefore he cannot have charged you for any work that could have been a consequence of the shared service. Otherwise, as per @snowhead the other house would have been getting their power through your meter and you would have been paying for it. I can't imagine why anybody would have been so daft as to wire that up, unless someone once owned both houses and the neighbours have not realised that electricity is not free!

I'm trying to work out how your electrician managed to cut off power to next door. The only possibility I can think of is that he pulled the service fuse to make the tails to the consumer dead, and that the feed to next door was after the fuse.
I've seen plenty of case where the service cable comes into one property, then feeds back out of the head to next door, but the fuse in the first property only serves that property, and next door has its own head.

Agree with Lucien My concern is the melting neutral. The only reason this would happen is due to a loose connection due to poor workmanship not overloading the circuit. If you had overloaded the circuit. Then the fuse or mcb should of operated to prevent the overheating.

Please post pictures of your setup. What the electrician is saying doesn't make sense.

• Melting connections are always due to either damaged or incorrect equipment, or bad workmanship. It should not be possible to melt or overheat anything by using too many appliances. The electrician is not permitted to connect anything new to inadequate or defective existing equipment.
  • Likewise, there is no reason for an electrician to say 'don't use everything at once to be safe.' The worst that should happen with excessive load is to cause a breaker to trip or fuse to blow, and in a domestic installation that shouldn't normally happen either.
  • Any part of the wiring that is shared between the houses on a shared service, the electrician is not allowed to touch because it is before the meter. Therefore he cannot have charged you for any work that could have been a consequence of the shared service. Otherwise, as per @snowhead the other house would have been getting their power through your meter and you would have been paying for it. I can't imagine why anybody would have been so daft as to wire that up, unless someone once owned both houses and the neighbours have not realised that electricity is not free!

Copper bit with black around melter. I don't know exactly how it works, but basically the western power guy said next door might need to have their drive taken up as they have no direct power, it comes from our side of the house and a wire through the wall, but it all affected our fusebox... I think. Its now been replaced with an RCD board. Western power are due out to separate the wires.

I don't know how all of this works, but basically when he pulled the black wires out to disconnect the electric, it knocked next doors out, they called western power who came out and said both our fuseboards were running off the same volt supply and likley all the houses in the street are the same unless they've had new electrics. Said modern day life means people are finding out about it now because of the strain on the voltage supply.

Or maybe it was all a load of waffle.

Copper bit with black around melter. I don't know exactly how it works, but basically the western power guy said next door might need to have their drive taken up as they have no direct power, it comes from our side of the house and a wire through the wall, but it all affected our fusebox... I think. Its now been replaced with an RCD board. Western power are due out to separate the wires.
Surprised that the neutral melted there that's a factory termination

I don't know how all of this works, but basically when he pulled the black wires out to disconnect the electric, it knocked next doors out, they called western power who came out and said both our fuseboards were running off the same volt supply and likley all the houses in the street are the same unless they've had new electrics. Said modern day life means people are finding out about it now because of the strain on the voltage supply.

Or maybe it was all a load of waffle.

Seen that happen on those Proteus boards before. Pulling the service head fuse will kill next doors power, theirs and yours are protected by the same service head fuse. The electrician should have realised this it is staring them in the face.
Is the rcbo on the left of the mcbs the new circuit, I am amazed they managed to connect into it as it must nearly be touching the earth bar.

Last edited:
Seen that happen on those Proteus boards before. Pulling the service head fuse will kill next doors power, theirs and yours are protected by the same service head fuse. The electrician should have realised this it is staring them in the face.
Is the rcbo on the left of the mcbs the new circuit, I am amazed they managed to connect into it as it must nearly be touching the earth bar.
No idea what you're asking me but irl try and take a picture tomorrow of the new board.

The melting was caused by a loose screw, simple as that. Where the flat copper neutral link from the bottom of the main switch is screwed on to the right hand end of the brass terminal bar (with all the black neutral wires) the screw was loose and the resulting resistance caused the bar to overheat. If the contact surfaces were not properly cleaned before re-tightening the screw, the tarnish layer formed by the first round of overheating would have continued to cause poor contact and more heating. There's no mystery here, it was a bad connection not put right. Nothing to do with next door.

The sparky presumably pulled out the DNO's main fuse, which as noted above is shared by the two houses, and at that point they lost their supply. He should have spotted that and not pulled the fuse, although it's not a bad thing to get the two houses onto separate supplies now that you are some way down that path.

The melting in your board has nothing to do with the western power issue. That is an issue that has become apparent during works. So th3y will not be liable for works.

I see the supply conductors under your board going through the wall. Those cables are a very old type of cable no longer recognised in the regs. cloth covered.

western power definitely need to sort that.

In fairness to your electrician there is not much of next doors feeds on show, so he could have missed it.

tightness of connections does help, but if an installation is overloaded it will still melt. If the insulation has been d@maged an the neutral bar once it may have lost its integrity and be more susceptible to heat In future.

Reply to Two houses fed of one houses mains - what are my rights. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net