Discuss Two light switches have fallen off (plastic broke), do I need to call an electrician or is it a simple fix? (I'm DIY) in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Two light switch buttons have fallen off of the switches. If I place the switch back in place, I can switch the light on and off, and I can see where the plastic on the button has broken. Is this something I can simply replace by buying a replacement button, and clicking it in place, or should I call a professional?

TL;DR
Light switch button broke, light still works, can I replace just the button or should I get professional help?
Why not just replace the whole switch? If you are comfortable with doing so.....
Of course switching off the electrics first at the consumer unit.

Yes, I think that is what I will do. I just wondered if as the wiring is all fine if I could just pop a button in. Thanks

I've not known people just replace the button but then again I'm an Industrial electrician...

If you are going to replace the full switch, take notes of what colour wire connects to what terminals in the back and just copy it.
Or take a pic of the wiring and post it up on here.... It might be just two wires.... Depends on the switch layout.

again... turn off the electrics first...

That bit of metal you can see inside the switch? That's the switch contacts and could be very, very live.
You need to have the whole switch replaced as a matter of urgency.

complete switch only a couple of quid. copy the connectins as the old ones.
1591108252445.pngssssimpless.

As above, best plan is to replace them. You said two have failed?

If they are two-way lights (e.g. upstairs and downstairs) then you would need a two-way switch, but the cost difference is small so you could get something like this in either case:
https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/mk-logic-plus-10ax-1-gang-2-way-light-switch-white/11822

As said above, make very sure the power is off first, and when you go to remove the switch take a couple of good photos in case there are any mix-ups or complications.

You should only need a small and medium flat-blade screwdriver to do it. Check the wires are properly fixed in by giving them a light wiggle-pull test after screwing the terminals up, but don't over-tighten, just firm finger pressure on the screwdriver handle ought to be enough.

Reply to Two light switches have fallen off (plastic broke), do I need to call an electrician or is it a simple fix? (I'm DIY) in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net