Discuss Two post carlift single to three phase in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

diditrain

-
Arms
Reaction score
Has anyone had any history of powering a three phase motor from a single phase supply?
Is there a preferred/best way of doing this? i.e.single phase to three phase inverter/VVFD, convertor or using capacitors etc.
Not my usual avenue, but I have had the question put to me, so I am trying to get a bit more knowledge on the subject.

No , It is a newish lift . It is the same set up as @telectrix , only supplied with single phase. Removed the three phase four poster for a single Phase five tonne two poster single phase , because of high top vans and heavier vehicles, also on price really.

You can use a vfd if the 3 phase motor is multi voltage I.e. 400* 220 delta.
Where in the world are you?

Do the manufacturers have a single phase set up?

Just to remind you that if you alter anything to do with the ramp controls, motors, limits etc that changes the original spec of the ramp then you become fully responsible for the safe functioning of the ramp and safety of its users including any inherent issues it already has. I would think very carefully before going down that route.
If however you fit an upfront 1-3ph power converter then you stay clear of the minefield of regulations that come otherwise, I may of course be teaching you to suck eggs here but as I don't know your skillset and field of knowledge it is worth just posting for clarity of what you could be getting into.

The only other thing I would note is if you are converting a single to three phase then the demand on the single phase will be approx triple that of running it across 3 phase to start with. I personally have never used a 1-3ph converter so I'll let others advise on that.

Yes , the inspections are frequent and thorough , or they should be if they are being done properly.

Another issue to be aware of is the control circuit / built in lighting, if any, may have been derived from 2 phases. That may need sorting out.

Just to remind you that if you alter anything to do with the ramp controls, motors, limits etc that changes the original spec of the ramp then you become fully responsible for the safe functioning of the ramp and safety of its users including any inherent issues it already has. I would think very carefully before going down that route.
If however you fit an upfront 1-3ph power converter then you stay clear of the minefield of regulations that come otherwise, I may of course be teaching you to suck eggs here but as I don't know your skillset and field of knowledge it is worth just posting for clarity of what you could be getting into.

The only other thing I would note is if you are converting a single to three phase then the demand on the single phase will be approx triple that of running it across 3 phase to start with. I personally have never used a 1-3ph converter so I'll let others advise on that.
I think I will probably have a look at the job, but decline taking it on. I would like to get a better understanding of these types of installations, moving forward.
Could really do with some upskilling, I think.

Just to add that there is also the issue of insurance, most insurance policies that your average installation electrician be it domestic, commercial or industrial will not cover them for this type of work, I had to search out an insurance company that did this kind of cover and trust me it ain't cheap in comparison, if you haven't specified you repair, upgrade and/or design and build machinery controls to your insurer then it is unlikely you are covered, another reason to make the wise move to walk away.

Reply to Two post carlift single to three phase in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock