Discuss Two Strange (To Me) Finds In The Wiring... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pete E

-
DIY
Reaction score
I mention in another thread the possibility of using a redundant immersion feed as a possible starting point for a "spur" into a bedroom.

I should add I am definitely not looking to do this myself as it is out of my comfort zone but just looking at potential ideas before getting an Electrician involved. Somebody on here as stated they will be interested in coming out for a quote ect and I am happy to go down that route when the time comes.

For a bit of background, the house dates back to the late 90's and has the old colour wiring. When we moved in two years ago it was in a good state of repair and nothing obviously wrong. At some point in its past the hot and cold water tanks have been removed and a combi boiler fitted. I have no idea if the original central heating piping and rads were retained or replaced, but they look reasonably new.

I had a quick look on the CU and the circuits are listed and there is no mention of a immersion heater.

In the airing cupboard on the landing there is one blanked off double box and one immersion switch about 18" above it. I assumed both were to do with the immersion.

I removed the blanking plate off the lower double box to find a two cables in it crimped together.. Both cables were coloured coded red, blue, yellow and a sleeved green/yellow earth. They look to be 1.5mm conductors which suggests a two way switching circuit for lights? I have no idea if they are live as I did not want to break the crimps down to test.

I opened the DP switch above now expecting to see some similar wiring, but it was wired with a single T&E (black/brown) of what looked like 2.5mm cable and this was live.

So I have no idea what the function of the bottom box is (or was?) for?? Some sort of two way switch for the immersion? Or did the Spark simply bring the landing/hall lighting circuit into the airing cupboard?

I also have a live immersion feed that is not listed on CU...I am not really comfortable opening up the CU to investigate further, but it does make me wonder how its fed ie radial circuit or a spur off the ring?

Everything is back together now and this is filed for info only to tell the Spark, but its certainly got my curiosity up....

There are a lot of things that go/can go/did go into that sort of area.
From your description, it may well be the old controls for the removed boiler.
Only a site inspection and some detective work could resolve.

There are a lot of things that go/can go/did go into that sort of area.
From your description, it may well be the old controls for the removed boiler.
Only a site inspection and some detective work could resolve.

I agree, just posted this out of curiosity/interest. Wife is away looking after MIL tonight and being a bit bored I started removing screws! lol

3-core and earth cable can be used for many applications not just 2-way lighting, as Taylor pointed out more than likely from past heating controls when your plumbing was altered.

Turn off each MCB individually and see if you lose power to old immersion. As posted before any photo's it's always a big help.

What you have is an old UK three phase delta cable.
You have no neutral cable
You may be able to re purpose one of these cables as neutral
How-ever I am not sure what UK electrical codes permit in this area ?

Black and Brown cores from the same bit of T&E, are you sure?
Sorry, my mistake, that should have been red and black as in the old colour scheme....Will investigate further when I have a bit of time but at least I know the original idea is one feasible option...

Reply to Two Strange (To Me) Finds In The Wiring... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net