Discuss two supplies to a relay in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Question for you guys; I have wired a control panel with 230v ac supply and within the panel there is a relay which is used to control other devices outside the panel. the relay operates when a device controlled by the panel operates. i.e. when the device is on, the relay contacts are closed and when it is off, the contact are open. I connected another circuit (230v ac) to the contacts to run some other equipment, on the same phase as the panel supply but a separate circuit, and all in accordance with the manufacturers details. a guy mentioned to me that I shouldn't have done this and I should have taken a supply only from the panel feed. at the least I should have labelled the panel as having two feeds. I disagreed as the panel has only one feed, but has control wiring running into it. what do you all think?

so you have 2 circuits, each fed by it's own OCPD, connected to common terminals on a relay. so that means you have to isolate both circuits to kill the supplies. bad. ( if i've read your OP correct).

I've done this before as a way to overcome RCD tripping issues where different circuits have to action a common item. Just label it accordingly, personally I can't see an issue.

could you not use a second relay and parallel the coils so they both energise simultaneously. separate feeds to each relay contacts?

Given that you've got supplies on two circuits entering the same enclosure and not capable of being isolated by a single device, I'd put a suitable label on in accordance with BGB 514.11

so you have 2 circuits, each fed by it's own OCPD, connected to common terminals on a relay. so that means you have to isolate both circuits to kill the supplies. bad. ( if i've read your OP correct).

No, you have indeed misunderstood. there are two circuits both with OCPD. one feeds the panel with 'juice' to make it work. the other goes into the contact terminals of a relay within the panel to control other devices that are outside the panel. the circuits are not connected together in anyway.

so basically, you have just added an extra output circuit to the existing relay??? if so, as long as the relay is rated to take the extra load, no problem as i can see.

If you have added this yourself then maybe for future ref' you could simplify things by increasing the supply if needed and fusing down for the extra aux' supply... as it is then as other have said it requires labeling in accordance with BS7671... anyone who is within the panel should need a tool to enter it and also should be competent to be in there hence labeling is all that is necessary but a must as panel layouts and designs vary so much; confusion can be a killer, i always check ALL! cables before i work on them ...too many time ive seen bodgit additions and upgrades where remote power has been brought in for control reasons in voltages that are dangerous.

Other methods and normally the way to go is to use Selv control voltages to link independent equipment of low voltage so at most you will trip a dc power supply or operate a fuse with minimal risk to engineer.

OOh and for those not up to speed you can do optical signalling no electrical connection at all ... highly reliable using fibre optic plug in signal cable and jobs a good un.... but big pennies needed and not the main trend at the moment as cheaper methods still rule ....Its the future I tell thee!

I usually use different coloured wiring to identify anything carrying "external voltage" not isolated by panel switch disconnector as well as warning labels.

On a new panel I would probably put auxilary contacts on the isolator, so the second supply also is switched off with the panel isolator and mark it up as having two incoming supplies, and mark on the front the circuit references that need to be isolated.

BS7671 states that a label should be applied if the circuits cannot be isolated by a single device . A single device could be the Main isolator. Surely this reg is referring to properties where there is more than one source of energy and therefore the supplies CANNOT be isolated by ONE device?

A control panel doesn't have to abide by BS7671.

what I do is cover any terminals that remain energised after operating the isolator with Clear PVC. This is labelled accordingly.

this is often done to comply with the form factor requirements of the clients spec.

As has mentioned above. Label the panel accordingly and make sure the wires of the external source are orange.

What exactly do the remote supply cables do... you fall within the BS EN 60204-1 not the BS7671 and this only really allows certain set-ups referring to 5.3.5 of the 60204-1 for accepted circuits and the measures needed to take when applied.

i think the ops title should have been a little clearer
seemed to be a little confusion there
if a relay is supplying /sourcing power to two separate contactors then proper lableing and documentation is required as well as assuring the relay can handle the additional load.
as well as having a lockable disconnect between the relay and each of the contactors it supplies

if a single relay has 2 separate control supplies such as including a remote or jog start button.
then an interlock device needs to be installed to prevent both from being able to function at the same time

these are US rules I know but i am here to learn and exchange ideas

Reply to two supplies to a relay in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock