Discuss Two way light switch Hall /Landing 2 vs 3 core wiring in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

jase31

On a standard hall & landing 2 way circuit (i.e both switched from either location), does everyone prefer using the 3 core method, with each light being fed by the appropriate circuit (i.e upstairs / downstairs) - are any other methods in current use?

seen some weird and wonderful ways over the years. 3 cores at fittings, L feed from downstairs circuitr, N from upstairs ( borrowed Line, or borrowed Neutral, depending on your viewpoint). only way IMO is a 3 core between switches, easy, reliable, compliant, and simple to follow.

Depends where you are getting your L and N from (not sharing!) sometimes it is easier to use two core between switches if the first one is near the CU and the last one is near the light other than that I use the confusing and not easy to follow:13: three core.

3 core method is just so simple. switch wire from landing light to landing switch. 3 core from sw1 to sw2.

3 core method is easy just wire the light the same as you normally would but take a 3 core to a remote switch

not quite jase. the L and SW/L go in L1 and L2 instaed of C and L1.

only other way i tend to do it is pullin 2x 3cores up to light and through crimping the strappers at fitting, do this sometimes on rewires when cant draw two cables up without damage but can usually draw one 3 core up easily.

Oh well, I have a dilemma - my Dad has decided to replace all the switches in the house but the one he got for the hall doesn't have as many holes as the old one - I think that the live has to be split somehow but I'm no expert and even someone who claims to be an expert gave up today.

Oh well, I have a dilemma - my Dad has decided to replace all the switches in the house but the one he got for the hall doesn't have as many holes as the old one - I think that the live has to be split somehow but I'm no expert and even someone who claims to be an expert gave up today.
Welcome to the forum.
Always a good idea to look at the date of posts; this one was two years ago!
To start your own new post go into the most appropriate forum section from the main page and in the top right there is a start new post button...

From your vague description it sounds like you need to buy the correct light switch, depending on how the lights are wired and the switching required, it is likely that you would need the same type of switch as you had previously.

Sounds like he bought a 1 way switch when he should have bought a 2 way switch...DOH!!

If, as has been suggested, he has bought the wrong switch it would indicate a lack of knowledge. Do you really think your dad should be poking around with something he obviously doesn't know enough about?
Show this to him.
Sir you are messing with something which carries (most likely) 6 amps. The electric chair worked on 10 amps admittedly the voltages were different but the principle is the same, this circuit can be lethal. Do you know how you are going to prove that your earth is continuous when you have finished your project? It is the circuit protective conductor which could save your life in the event of a fault. How would you feel if your wife or child were injured as a result of this project?
Please consider the consequences of what you are doing.

Well I totally agree with you. I know what I'm doing mostly which is why I told him to leave it the f alone until I had a chance to look at it. But being impatient and stupid he's gone ahead without me. I've made it safe for now but I think that one of you were right when you said he bought the wrong bloody switch. I wish he would have just left it for me to sort out, I was only away for 2 weeks and the truth is he's only replacing the switches to make things look nice, there was nothing wrong with the original switches, they were working just fine.

Well, I agree, that's what I thought. But having never seen the original wiring and having a new switch with less connections on it, in house that is 70 years old, there is never anything basic.

And your comment doesn't really help, so thanks for that.

It's not 3 core, it T&E, so no brown blue or green and yellow, just black and red. I think the E has been made into part of the circuit though so there's a third red.

Two way light switch  Hall /Landing 2 vs 3 core wiring {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

It's not 3 core, it T&E, so no brown blue or green and yellow, just black and red. I think the E has been made into part of the circuit though so there's a third red.

looks like a right cock-up. esp if he has used metal faceplates. i can soon sort that for you if you send me a pm.

Reply to Two way light switch Hall /Landing 2 vs 3 core wiring in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock