Discuss Two Way Switch Sleeving in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

NeilRob

-
DIY
Reaction score
DSC00872.jpgI have loosened off two, two way light switches to wall paper and noticed that on both only the Black switched live had a piece of insulating tape wrapped around which had partly come off, the Blue and Yellow have no tape attached, is it ok to just replace the tape on the Black switched live or should the Blue and Yellow have tape or sleeving attached, the wiring was done 20 years ago, only the Black switched live had insulating tape on it.

2 schools of thought on this. 1 says sleeve all switched L's. the other says that blue and yellow are phase colours anyway , so should not need to be sleeved.

Agree with tel but having said that they i always feel its a better job when they are sleeved but if its sleeved it will be in new colours and the blue is now a neutral black is now live so i'd sleeve them, what pillock came up with the ideas for changing the colour codes much better with the old colours

when this colour change was first suggested, the IEE should have said no way, sod off. but what did they do.. rolled over like a naughty puppy. same with this ridiculous 400/230V. did we lose the war?

As far as i'm concerned the BS 7671 should be handed over to CIBS, it'll be in far better hands than the b******ised ITE as it's known now. Leave them to look after the power and other associated industries, to which you'll find, that most of the high flying members are involved in, rather than the building services side of the industry!!

I just thought it would be a bit inconsistent, if the rest of the installation has red lives and red sleeved switched lives.

i'd use red. stuff them meddling, interfering johnny forieigners. this is Great Britain. we beat the frogs, spanish and the wurst eaters. why should we bow down to them now? hang on. i've just heard winston turning in his grave, along with elizabeth I.

brown is silly anyway. look at soil/earth. what colour is it? yes, bloody brown.

Personally, i'd be happy just to see switch lines identified at each end of cable, be it via a short bit of coloured sleeving, heatshrink, or other form of cable ID markers.

I use brown over old colours if there is also new colours present in the property, otherwise I use red.

Reply to Two Way Switch Sleeving in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net