Discuss Two, yes two 13A cookers off 6mm in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

se7aq

Hello All
The wife wants not one, but two, yes, two of those NEFF slide n hide ovens you see on Great British Bake-Off. Not cheap at well over £500 each.
Anyway...can I run two off the 6mm cable coming from the consumer unit currently with a 16A breaker.
I was thinking of changing breaker to a 32A but was concerned that if mainly one cooker being used would a 32A be too much tripping reasons.
And was concerned about running two cookers off the one cable, as it were, so do we need two cables with two separate breakers, and two oven main switches etc..?

What would you do as places like Wren et'al have displays with two separate ovens so people might start asking, and its where the wife got the idea!!! My pocket is not a happy bunny.

Cheers
Eddy

I can't see any reason why you could not run two 3kw ovens off the 6mm. Also depending on the installation method a 32A mcb will be fine to protect this circuit. You may well need to connect each oven into separate fcu's fed from this circuit.

A cooker circuit in 6mm^2 cable would usually be on a 30A or 32A fuse/circuit breaker. This is a standard cooker circuit. This does assume, however, that the installation methods for the cable don't take the current carrying capacity below that of the protective device. These circuits are designed to take up to 15kw (with diversity applied) of cooking appliances, and you can have two appliances on the circuit, as long as they are in the same room. It is usual to use one cooker control unit and a dual appliance outlet plate. The CCU should be within 2m of both appliances it controls.

In your case, as the appliances are 13A, you could use FCUs.

As above, although consideration would need to be given about isolation. Would one isolator be sufficient, or would you want to have separate isolators. I see that the appliance is rated at 3.45kw, but as there is no indication as to whether the appliance would run at full load, therefore diversity could be applied. I wouldn't use FCU's, personally. DP switches (32amp) and cooker connection units. Just my opinion.

PS Are you doing this yourself?

Taking the cable is up to it as far as derating factors are concerned, the ovens are 3.4kw each full load, I would feed the existing 6mm into a 45amp double pole isolator and then onto a scolmore twin cooker outlet plate, cannot see any reason for needing isolation for each oven 32 amp mcb will be fine.

I can't see any reason why you could not run two 3kw ovens off the 6mm. Also depending on the installation method a 32A mcb will be fine to protect this circuit. You may well need to connect each oven into separate fcu's fed from this circuit.

Does that include the 5 ring hob?

A cooker circuit in 6mm^2 cable would usually be on a 30A or 32A fuse/circuit breaker. This is a standard cooker circuit. This does assume, however, that the installation methods for the cable don't take the current carrying capacity below that of the protective device. These circuits are designed to take up to 15kw (with diversity applied) of cooking appliances, and you can have two appliances on the circuit, as long as they are in the same room. It is usual to use one cooker control unit and a dual appliance outlet plate. The CCU should be within 2m of both appliances it controls.

In your case, as the appliances are 13A, you could use FCUs.

Taking the cable is up to it as far as derating factors are concerned, the ovens are 3.4kw each full load, I would feed the existing 6mm into a 45amp double pole isolator and then onto a scolmore twin cooker outlet plate, cannot see any reason for needing isolation for each oven 32 amp mcb will be fine.

OP doesn't post crucial bit of information and then posts it three times. What hob OP?

A similar story yesterday, CU change, was trying to take R1+R2 at cooker switch (with socket). Wasn't getting a reading. Spent a good 20 minutes coming and going until I decided to flick on the cooker switch as well as the socket switch. Bingo, now I'm getting a reading, customer said "oh yeah, isn't that normal?".

To the OP - I don't think you mentioned a hob before. If you are talking about an electric hob and two electric ovens, then you need to get an electrician in to install another circuit.

To the OP - I don't think you mentioned a hob before. If you are talking about an electric hob and two electric ovens, then you need to get an electrician in to install another circuit.
New circuit? Without even doing any calcs? Oh er.

Well I wouldn't put three cooking appliances on one circuit. And at present it is on a 16A breaker, I'd say someone needs to have a look at it and possibly add another circuit, and see if that 16A can be upped.

Reply to Two, yes two 13A cookers off 6mm in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock