Discuss Type 'A' RCD test results in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I just installed my first type 'A' RCD. When I tested it, I was amazed by the disconnection time. It was 148ms @ 1IΔn. Okay this is less than the required 300ms, and I know I take the 5IΔn for the report, but even so, this seems high to me.
Is this correct for Type A RCD, they are slower to respond than Type AC ?

I use a lot of fusebox stuff and you get use to the times when testing but I have noticed when install the type A the times are slightly higher than Ac’s....

I have found that typically Hager Type A RCDs (I haven't installed Type AC in years) have a slower operating time when tested on the Type AC setting than when tested on the Type A setting. I haven't been able to establish a good explanation for this.

Well that's a bit of a faff, is this just relative to Hager, or all Type A testing?
I assume new MFT's will have a variable option available, or will 50ma become the norm?
Not sure if it is unique to Hager but I think the issue is resolved on newer devices.

I have found that typically Hager Type A RCDs (I haven't installed Type AC in years) have a slower operating time when tested on the Type AC setting than when tested on the Type A setting. I haven't been able to establish a good explanation for this.
I think that may be fairly common.

I tested some 'type AC' RCD FCUs with type A testing to see what would happen and in one phase/polarity they tripped faster and at lower current than expected going on 0.5*In in (from memory) 12ms or so, but slower other polarity slower but still meeting the 1*In times around the 140ms time. On type AC testing they were around the 28ms both phases.

I have no idea how universal that is as I just to see what might happen with some older kit that has not been updated to type A for the rectified style of load they feed.

I just installed my first type 'A' RCD. When I tested it, I was amazed by the disconnection time. It was 148ms @ 1IΔn. Okay this is less than the required 300ms, and I know I take the 5IΔn for the report, but even so, this seems high to me.
Is this correct for Type A RCD, they are slower to respond than Type AC ?
From the replies it sounds like you have your answer, however I have noticed that 'sometimes' RCD's react differently depending on if you test them, i.e. actually at the RCD or if you have tested at a socket, switch or light. Where did you test this one Jeremy? Oops I mean Michael ?

I actually tested from socket, when I go back and retest, I'll do it properly this time from RCD according to Hager instructions (Thanks Westwood10) . Be interesting to see how this differs from socket.

Hager devices are manufactured to disconnect within 40ms with a test current of 250ma, this is obviously above the ×5 we are accustomed to testing at but is inline with EN61008.
Regulation 643.8 does not specify a precise ×5 test current, it states ×5 or above which takes into account this 250ma. Personally to me if it trips within requirements at ×5 then it is fine.

The early Hager guidance of testing their A type RCDs was a bit of a cop out in my opinion. Westwood sums it up in his post above.
Never understood why everyone else could make a 30mA type A RCD trip at 30ms at 150mA but Hager couldn't.

At least they seem to have brought their devices inline with everyone else now.

Reply to Type 'A' RCD test results in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock