Discuss type A RCD in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

peanutty

hi all, is there anything i should know about type A RCD's(RCD not MCB). i.e. testing, never come across them before. i'm told domestic charging points for electric cars are using them. any ideas what else they are used in.

I think you need to refine your question:
the 'types' apply to circuit breakers not RCD's as they relate to a ratio of current surge, and type A doesn't exist in practice (and you wont find it in the BGB) as the B,C & D grades replaced the previous numerical values of 1 - 5.

It is possible that you have seen a type on an RCBO, but it would be B,C or D.

I can't think of any reason why couldn't use a standard B type for a car charger.

hi, i'll pop out to van in abit and take pic of it, i thought i was going mad when i was told!!

There are as far as I know, four types of RCD.
Type AC which are the bog standard RCDs used in most installations and detect a.c. earth faults.
Type A which are again detect a.c. earth faults, but can be used for instances where there may be pulsed d.c. currents.
Type B which are used to detect d.c. earth faults.
Type S (selective) which are time delayed.

6.1.4 Types a.c.,A and B RCDs.​
Residual current devices may also be classified as Type a.c.,Type A and Type B as follows:​
Type a.c.​
Ensures tripping for residual a.c. currents, whether suddenly appliedor slowly rising.
Type A​
Ensures tripping for residual a.c. currents and pulsating d.c. currents,whether suddenly applied or slowly rising.
Type B​
Ensures tripping for residual a.c. currents, pulsating d.c. currents andsmooth d.c. currents, whether suddenly applied or slowly rising.For most applications Type a.c. devices are the most suitable. For special applications, refer
to the manufacturer.

Taken from the Beama RCD handbook here: www.beama.org.uk

Cannot post the link for some reason

Last edited:

Reply to type A RCD in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock