Discuss Type of Installation in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I would like your take on this Installation. The Supply source is in a switch room & the cable is terminated at the rear of Switch Fuse Disconnector, see photos. The intake at the Distribution Panel is also shown. You will see that the Neutral is connected to the panel metal work. The cable is glanded to the top of the same panel. Assuming the earth path is from gland to gland at either end of the cable. Without further investigation as to the earth terminations at a glance would you say this is unusual linking the neutral to earth.Type of Installation IMG_0804.JPG - EletriciansForums.netType of Installation IMG_0805.JPG - EletriciansForums.netType of Installation IMG_0807.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Is that TNC then?
I guess so, all the exposed conductive parts are connected via the metal work in the Distribution Panel & the neutral bar. The Earth via the armour of the supply cable back to the source metalwork which is strapped to the incoming neutral as photo.

What is the source of supply? Public network / on-site transformer / generator? Where is the meter relative to that ISCo neutral block?

What is the source of supply? Public network / on-site transformer / generator? Where is the meter relative to that ISCo neutral block?
The source of supply is TNS I think, a 1200 Amp TP & N intake supplied from Public network into Main Power Room with meter then 3TP & N sub main supply to Distribution Panel in small Switch Room. Length of cable run is around 40 Meters.
I have a ELI of 0.06 at Neutral to metalwork bond on the DB/panel.

If that cable is definitely not part of the DNO supply that neutral should not be bonded to earth. Looks like it has been there a long time, 50-60 years I should imagine.

If that cable is definitely not part of the DNO supply that neutral should not be bonded to earth. Looks like it has been there a long time, 50-60 years I should imagine.
The supply is definitely fed from the main Busbars in the old Slatter switchgear which is then distributed around the Business Park. we have 3 more Switchrooms.
The supply in question is the only one with the neutral/Earth link to the Panel.
I will now have to calculate the CSA of the Steel wire Armour of the cable to make sure it is of adequate size, as with the link removed this will be the Main Earth Conductor.

It is possible at some point that was DNO equipment judging by the bare earth and and the lug.

Reply to Type of Installation in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock